Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: interior wood

interior wood

hey everybody, i have decided to varnish the walls in my 58 yf, i'm tired of the oiling. i have some water stains on the walls, and i was wondering what to use to get it back as close to original without replacing the wood? which stain works best? which cleaner? i am also converting my master bed to a queen, does anyone know where in new orleans,mississippi gulf coast area i can purchase some veneer to match my walls? thanks bigbill

Re: interior wood

SAM's has the afromosia veneer in 4x8 sheets. Do a search on here for stain colors. If memory serves me, a mix of 2 color stains does the trick.

I have repaired a lot of water damaged wood on my boat, and here is the easiest way to do it (a carpenter told me about it years ago):

Get some 220 grit sandpaper or use the wirey side of the green scotchbrite sponge to wetsand the area. Need a bucket of fresh water , a clean sponge, and some rags to dry with. You also need some Spray Nine cleaner (sold at West Marine)

1. Wet the sandpaper or sponge generously with Spray Nine and wet sand the area (one foot square at a time). Mild rubbibg will do fine.
    2. Use a clean sponge and the bucket of clean water to remove all of the spray nine solution from the wood. Use the rags to dry the clean water off the wood
    3. Let it dry for 20 minutes (do another area).
    4. The wood will turn bleach white (or very light). Add your stain, then varnish when the entire section is done
    5. If teak oil is used instead of varnish (recommended), apply a generous amount of oil to a rag and rub the teak oil into the wood. Leave the excess oil on for 5 minutes. Dry of with a clean rag, buff to a shine.

This method will remove oil, grease, and all sorts of crap that darkens the wood over time. I have never been a fan of using varnish in the interior of the boat- it lacks the traditional look.

Good luck
    Skip Wright
    Mad Hatteras

FWIW.... A quick fix for water stains, not a real repair... Spray some WD 40 on it and wipe it in. Pretty amazing. Good to do right before the new buyer gets on board!

Captned

Quote Originally Posted by Captned View Post
    FWIW.... A quick fix for water stains, not a real repair... Spray some WD 40 on it and wipe it in. Pretty amazing. Good to do right before the new buyer gets on board!

Captned
    Is that kind of like putting sawdust in the rear differential to quiet it down before the sale?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Maybeeeee.... Try it on a little spot, suprised me. Of course, I would never do it...

Captned

I tried a tip I was given for the black type of water stains you can get near windows -- Windex and a high-density bristle brush. The black came right out instantly. It works.
    -- Paul