Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Electronics Question- Furuno FCV 582 Fishfinder

I have a Furuno FCV 582 color fishfinder on my 43 SX. It was on the boat when I bought it and appears to be an original install. I do not know what transducer I have. At cruising speed, the fishfinder looses the bottom. While this is not a huge deal because I have a backup fathometer, I am wondering whether there may be a setting on the fishfinder that would prevent this from happening. I do not believe that it is a result of Hatteras mounting the ducer in the wrong location as most 43's have the same unit and I suspect the same ducer in the same location.

Re: Electronics Question- Furuno FCV 582 Fishfinder

I have the same unit in my Hatteras 36 Sedan Bridge, it behaves the same way, at about 10 knots the digital depth reading will disappear. The reading on my Datamarine Depth also disappears. The transducers are mounted in the same area on each side of the keel. I think it has to do with prop or shaft "noise".

Sorry to hear it is a common problem. Would have thought Hatteras would have gotten it right.

Probably poor placement of the transducer or a bad fairing. If it is clean water it should not loose the bottom. Is it set for 50 or 200 htz? Does it have a low power mode?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Ability to read the bottom at speed depends on several variables. Output strength of the sounder trasducer (usually need a 1 KW to get constant bottom readings in deeper water), placement and fairing of the tranducer and any bottom appendages that may create disturbed water (air) over the transducer face. Transducers can also go bad over time. I have fished on several boats with the FCV 582 and all but one did very well. The other boat owner had to replace and upgade the output of the transducer to get it right. Good luck on finding your solution. It's always nice to know where the bottom is. Bob

I have the same unit on our boat and it does not loose signal at crusing speed (19kts). I think you have a poor transducer placement and you should probably consult a marine electronics tech and he can advise you where it would be best to relocate it.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

Give Furuno a call they have a great service Tech dept. Its free.

BILL

Just checked yesterday. Believe it or not, the ducer that does not lose the bottom is located about 6 feet closer to the bow than the one that does. I know this is probably a silly question but is it possible to replace the transducer while the boat is in the water (like with the paddle wheel on a datamarine) or must the boat come out of the water to do so? Needless to say, my suspicion is the later.

Possible Yes. Practical maybe. If there is a removable insert in the tube no problem. make sure they are the same size though. If not the idea of pulling a cable and the ducer through the hull is a bit of a stretch since the best waterproof bonds will be made on dry surfaces. By the time you get the stuff ready to do it in the water you could probably negotiate a quick pick up and 30 minutes in the slings over lunch time for $150.00.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

On my 36' Hatteras, the Furuno FCV 582 and the Datamarine transducers are different diameters.