Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: %@#$&*** Cetol!

Re: %@#$&*** Cetol!

Hey Bob, believe it or not, the little bubbles appear from the solvent evaporating (boiling) out of the coating. As nice as it may go on, dont do it in direct sunlight... even at 65 degrees. If you must, be ready to do a final stroke to clear them off. A "dash" like 1/8 TSP per quart, of reducer or penetrol (linseed oil or turps) will help stop that also. ws

Sometimes edges and sharp corners need 4-5 coats BEFORE you start top topcoating. The material there is probably down to 1-2 mils wet with the rest at 5-8 when youre done. ws

I just got back from a 4 mile walk (2 each way) from the hardware store and am now armed with a heat gun, carbide scraper and a hacksaw! That Cetol's in for a bad time now! I'll have to wait a while though - I put another coat of varnish on the doors/jambs and I don't want to stir up a bunch of dust on the aft deck until it is sufficiently dry where dust won't stick.

I cleverly locked our bicycles to the dock with a cable combo locks. Pretty smart, eh? It would have been even smarter if I could remember where I put the combinations! Hence the hacksaw. The bikes are now free!

Maybe, like Mohammed, it's time for me take a break and go to the mount. Mount Gay, that is!

Here's the first cabinet stripped except for the trim around the door. Took about two hours with scraper/heatgun....

Thanks for the heatgun/scraper advice - it was much easier and less messy than sanding!

OOPS - posted the wrong pic - this one is the left side and front done but not the right side of the cabinet yet.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MikeP; 09-18-2007 at 03:53 PM. Reason: wrong pic posted

Here's a shot of the stripped/varnished cabinets with 4 coats of Epifanes varnish. I think 4 coats is sufficient since there is very little UV exposure.
    Attached Images

Very nice, Mike. The admiral should be very appreciative of your work. It's like a fine piece of furniture that you just added to your primary living space.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI