Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1976 43' Double Cabin - Project Boat - Salvage Site

Found this one on the Cooper salvage site. Could be a good project.

http://www.cooperss.com/1-1-24703-Ha...abin-Flybridge

Blaine

Exclamation Re: 1976 43' Double Cabin - Project Boat - Salvage Site

Hi Blaine,

Their minimum bid is nonsense - seems the insurance wants the boater to pay through their premium and then they want to get it back from the salvage.

This pic makes me sit back and take stalk, beyond the shafts, props, and engine/generator systems damage from taking in water...
    http://www.cooperss.com/images/full/fb88-24703-31.jpg

For a low price, she'd be a deal, but no way you'll get her bristol for cheaper than a proper used boat.

Rich

Re: 1976 43' Double Cabin - Project Boat - Salvage Site

It looks like if she hadn't had stabilizers, she would have come through that okay. Too bad, it looks like it was a well kept boat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

So does this mean that we should not consider stabilizers? I agree that the cost of making this boat nice again would cost way more than the REPAIRED value. Better to buy a nicely taken care of used model - especially in this market.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    So does this mean that we should not consider stabilizers? I agree that the cost of making this boat nice again would cost way more than the REPAIRED value. Better to buy a nicely taken care of used model - especially in this market.

Walt
    What it means is: Don't put it up on the rocks if you have stabilizers.

There are pros and cons to any upgrade. The roll stabilization and comfort for the passengers that is added with stabilizers is without question. Here we see what the drawbacks are. In general, Naiads are pretty safe. The backing blocks are substantial and the fin shafts are engineered to sheer if they are twisted too hard. The problem here looks like the fin was just pushed up from the bottom.

I have heard some recent horror stories regarding the old Wilcox stabs. Those can get caught in a non-center position and not return. One guy in our marina with a 60MY had this happen in the middle of Lake Michigan and almost lost the boat. I have never heard of a Naiad system doing that.
    Sky Cheney

For grins and morbid curiosity, I called the Cooper people today, re: what is the situation if you win the bid...answer...you pick it up and move it (transport it) to the place of your choice. Since she has a flybridge, I would say that is out of the question, i.e. over the road. By barge would be cost prohibitive, I would think. So what other option is there...temporary repair and hope she will a) run and b) move on her own bottom to a better repair facility?

So I would think the $22k is pretty stiff. Too bad, since she was pretty well optioned out for that period of boat. I would think the owner would be pretty saddened. She bears a striking resemblence to the former Patsea Lee out of Cheboygan, Duncan Bay, that was sold down in Bay City 2-3 years ago. I wonder if that is in fact her, under new owners, that were hot rodding in the N. Channel...which is always bad. Its hard to believe that an experienced owner/pilot would run that fast in those waters.

I asked what if she doesn't sell? Then the price comes down and she goes back out on the market. Otherwise the $22k is the floor.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Update: went back out to the Cooper site...the cutoff date is 10/12/07 and she had been reduced to $18k min bid from the original of $22k.

Same pictures...sits in Little Current. I have half a mind (that's probably the most accurate remark) to drive up an take a closer look.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Looks to me like an installation issue. I think those areas in the hull are supposed to be beefed up when stabs are installed aren't they?? The shaft of the stab is supposed to shear before this should happen. It would be interesting to get a Naiad reps perspective on this.........................Pat

I think the backing blocks were there. It just ripped them right through the bottom of the hull. Maybe the shaft should have sheared off, but it's not clear if the forces were such that the shaft was pushed back or up or if the tip of the fin was braced against the hull. If the shaft bent until the top of the fin was in contact with the hull, then it was unable to shear off completely.

Like you said, it would be interesting to hear what Naiad has to say about this.
    Sky Cheney

Thats an interesting site. Another vessel liste there is a 44 foot SF with fire damage. Burned beyond repair. I looked at the equipment it comes with to see if any parts could be used. Funny enough they list a fire system on the page. It may still be charged by the look of that boat.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.