Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

What are the wires attached to my secondary filter?

Attached is a photo of my secondary fuel filter. I am changing this old, original style filter to the spin-on type, per DD's recommendation.

I am curious as to what the electric wires attached to it would be. On this fitting, to the right is the hose coming from the Walbro priming pump. To the left are two wires that go into the black hole of wire-land. There is electrical tape on them for a little extra protection I suppose. I assume this is some sort of sensor, yes? What would you monitor at a connection such as this? This port is not where the fuel enters the filter in the normal course of fuel flow - it's where the priming pump pushes fuel when the pump is turned on.
    Last edited by Angela; 12-25-2007 at 09:41 AM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Re: What are the wires attached to my secondary filter?

Ang, This may be a by-pass switch. If so it would stay closed until fuel pressure causes it to open. It would usually be in the circuit to the stsrter button.. After the engine is started and the fuel pressure rises it opens and if the starter button is accidently depressed nothing will happen. (Like engaging the started while the engine is running,this will ruin a starter in short order)
    STAN

DON'T CUT THE WIRES. CALL THE BOMB SQUAD. Did you buy the boat from an Arab?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

My guess is a water sensor. Water settles to the bottom tripping a conductivity sensor. Any old warning lights anywhere at either helm or elsewhere?

Don't some fuel filters have pressure gauges on them? When the fuel pressure escalates it indicates the need to change the elements. Perhaps that's what the wires are?

I did a little more research. It's a fuel heater.

7. Re: What are the wires attached to my secondary filter?

On my 892's it's a fuel pressure switch that runs the hourmeter, maybe some things. In other words it's basically telling the hourmeter to turn on, may lock out the starter, may tell the older style battery chargers not to charge and maybe tell the 7 point alarm system the motor is running.

If you've got the original blueprints you may be able to find a numbered wire?? Thx.

no water sensors on secondaries, they should be on the racors...

on mine i have switches for the hour meter and something else I CAN"T REMEMBER !!! relay for the old alternator maybe... darn... cant' remember and i'm not on the boat right now...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
    On my 892's it's a fuel pressure switch that runs the hourmeter, maybe some things. In other words it's basically telling the hourmeter to turn on, may lock out the starter, may tell the older style battery chargers not to charge and maybe tell the 7 point alarm system the motor is running.

If you've got the original blueprints you may be able to find a numbered wire?? Thx.

Bingo. It operates the hr meter. Your boat should have a Lamarche charger and it does not have the cutout circut.