Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

"Deeply Disturbing" What??&^%$#

MSN NEWS ...WASHINGTON - A B-52 bomber was mistakenly armed with six nuclear warheads and flown for more than three hours across several states last week, prompting an Air Force investigation and the firing of one commander, Pentagon officials said Wednesday.

Rep. Ike Skelton, chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, called the mishandling of the weapons “deeply disturbing” and said the committee would press the military for details. Rep. Edward J. Markey, a senior member of the Homeland Security committee, said it was “absolutely inexcusable.”

****What the heck are they talking about ? If you can't trust your own Air Force then who can you trust???****

Maybe it's propaganda to have a scare in that area? did Castro die?
    Wait wait I got it they where supposed to fly over Mexico or Canada or better yet they where supposed to transport them over the road???

Or they where supposed to Teleport them magicly?
    I'm just saying at some point they need to be transported to be destroyed or just moved to a location and it has to happen some how and how is flying more dangerous than driving?
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

Re: "Deeply Disturbing" What??&^%$#

I am astonished and horrified. How is it that nuclear weapons are so readily accessable that one commander can order them loaded and flown? Doesn't this take numerous approvals through a chain of command? Aren't there established prerequisites and procedures specifiying under what conditions a weapon can be requisitioned, moved, or loaded? How is this kind of access within a base possible? If it can happen in the USA...what about other countries......and the US is so bellacose with other countries about their "lax" security procedures...

...crew in trouble for forgetting to drop them on Iran and Pakistan tribal areas.

Come on, you military guys know that it's just a "tactical error". Nothing to get all bent out of shape about.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

K

This base commander should have taken a course in proper media/political information release. Then his statement would have been something like this.
    'This was only a training exercise, no live weapons were used. The loading and transport of nuclear weapons demands that involved personnel be well trained and continually evaluated. Similar training excercises have been and will be ongoing to ensure that the United States is protected by a safe, accurate and lethal military.'
    It don't matter if you're holding an ace, as long as they think you're holding an ace.
    Illegitimum non carborundum
    My drinking team has a fishing problem.

Moving them around the base is OK. Loading the weapons on the aircraft is OK. Mounting the warheads on the delivery package is OK. Afterall, training is necessary, accomplished repeatedly and easily within one Commander's authority to do so, and accomplished often around the globe by several branches of service.
    It takes several levels of authority to relocate nuclear warheads. It requires Presidentail authority to launch one. It is contrary to treaties the US is party to - to relocate warheads in an aircraft. Not OK. Big no-no to actually fly warheads to another location. Big goof-up the air crew was unaware - big no-no. I hope senior leaders accept the responsibility as they should, NOT like Ahbrab Graih (sp) mistreatment in Iraq.
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

7. Re: "Deeply Disturbing" What??&^%$#

Flown from Minot to Blarksdale; Barksdale is staging base for ops to Middle East; nukes for Iran? Perhaps the news report is a whistleblower in the military hoping to prevent another disaster from the "war president"? Whatever, it is, indeed "deeply disturbing".
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

During the cold war, didn't we have live nukes flying around in B-52's 24/7?

I believe the greatest risk was if the aircraft were to crash, there may be a "leak" or radio active material, but no risk of detonation.

Aren't there codes that need to be entered in order to arm a live warhead?

How does this "incident" differ from our boomer subs cruising all over, loaded to the gills with nukes?

I heard the bombs were being flown form one base to another for decomissioning, not firing. If true, that's fine.
    Still, were the detonators mounted on the devices during the flight? They shouldn't have been.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

10. Re: "Deeply Disturbing" What??&^%$#

You guys watch to many movies... This guy almost went AWOL with our nukes... GEEZ are you guys nuts? This guy should be in tribunal for TREASON!

So many people just overlook anything to do with Treason... I can't believe it...

WOW

Ever thought what that one man could of ordered? States? Countries? WOW

1) "A B-52 bomber was mistakenly armed with six nuclear warheads" - You don't "mistakenly armed 6 nukes and put them on a plane

2) "flown for more than three hours across several states" - Training? On what? Our own people?

3) "called the mishandling of the weapons “deeply disturbing”" - "mishandling" = took over control of and "deeply disturbing" means he was scared out of his mind by this because this guy could of dropped them ANYWHERE!!!!

4) "senior member of the Homeland Security committee, said it was “absolutely inexcusable.” " - I bet they are upset THEY KNEW NOTHING ABOUT IT!!! They to scared to death!

I can't believe NO ONE CALLED FOR HIS HEAD!!!

You gotta be kidding me this is how easy it is for some rouge agent to DESTROY US!?!?!? And our gov isn't a little upset? Our people are not a little upset? You gotta be kidding me! I DEMAND a complete investigation! From the TOP down!
    Last edited by neosin; 09-05-2007 at 08:52 PM.
    ---/Neosin/--GulfCoastCruisers.us-----
    1972 Hatteras 44 TC "Blessed Luxury" (pic) Gone but still loved!

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Tim. 2:15)