Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

generator Onan 7.5kw

I have a 1972 DCMY and the problem I have is my generator will stop running after i get the boat up to cruising speed about (10knots). but runs great while the boat is anchored or cruising around 5-6 knots. I just changed the oil and filter and double checked the coolant level which was fine. any idea's?

Thanks in advance
    Lenz

Re: generator Onan 7.5kw

Could it be that it stops getting raw water in at that speed and the overheat shutoff turns it off? Watch the outlet while you are running and see if it stops shooting out water once you hit 10 kts.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Yes, the overheat sw is very effective in shutting down your genny (Onan 7.5 on same year 43'MY). Obviously, I speak from experience. Try that first, then repost if is not the obvious cure...
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Where is the source end of the fuel line connected? If it's running to one of the mains instead of directly to the tank, the gen. could be starved for fuel when the main gets up to speed.
    Will