Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Anatomy of a Dual Station Oil Pressure Guage

or "What's this connection for?" I'm installing my lower station gauges into the engine room for quick reference when the engines are running.

I have copied the wiring as they are wired in the upperhelm, but the gauges are not reading right.

To complicate matters, when I removed the lower helm station I lost one of the oil pressure gauges and had to buy another from SAMS MARINE. The photo I attached is of a single station gauge but we fixed that when Mike, at SAMS sent me another gauge, a dual gauge. I want to confirm that I'm wiring this thing right before I call Mike.

What I need from you guys is to ID the connections to be sure I am wiring it right. The only connections I don't know about is the one in the middle and the one below the the hot wire and the sender .

Help me OBI WAN, you're my only help

Joe
    Attached Images

Re: Anatomy of a Dual Station Oil Pressure Guage

You should think about putting manual gauges in the ER so you can get exact readings. It’s easy enough to put a T in where your existing senders are located.

Of course, then you would have to buy more gauges!

FWIW,

Captned
    Miami Beach
    Last edited by Captned; 08-21-2007 at 06:53 PM. Reason: words

...But you can buy them at the parts store too. ws

I'm pretty sure there is no dual station gage it's the sender that must be dual station the gages are the same. Wiring I= ignition your power source S= sender goes to the terminal on the sender G= ground For dual station you conect both gages to the same sender.

Brian

Thanks Brian,

The gauges are labelled either, with nothing... NO label, or labelled as 'dual station' or words to that effect. I really had no inclination to do this job but without the other set of gauges the bridge gauges didn't read right (example my water temp gauges showed 230 degrees, I know the usual temp is around 180.)

Also the gauges are not marked with 'I' or 'G' or 'S'.

I checked my wiring diagram but at that time(1972) Hatteras did not wire for oil pressure, maybe they were using manual oil gauges.

I'm still lost! I think tomorrow I might run a new wire from the sender to the gauges.

joe

The reason it reads high without the other guage wired is because the sender is intended for 2 gauges. If they are AC guages they should be marked stamped into the metal case right next to the terminal. If you have some that aren't find one that is marked and use the same pattern for the guages that aren't. Ground is the case so you only have to figure out sender and power. Look closely they should be marked.

Brian