Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. How cleaning hull=4 days in hospital

I had my A/C scupper clogged by growth 2 weeks ago so just went over the side, took 10 mins to get all the stuff out and get back onboard. Something I usually have to do a few times each summer.
    It's also not uncommon to get a small or very minor cut from the barnicles from the dock and/or posts.
    But this time it added to a bad combination.
    I woke up this past Friday about 3AM and was shaking so bad I thought I was going to break a tooth. Plus I was so weak and dizzy I could barely get out of bed.
    Being the MACHO MAN I am, I woke the admiral up and she took me to the ER room.
    I had a 104 fever and had to be helped from the wheel chair to the bed. They did an EKG, Echo KG, CT of the brain and took a lot of blood. Then they put in two IVs and started a lot of fluids.
    The main concern at this point was my "just installed" mechanic valve and if it had been affected. (It wasn't).
    On Saturday my daughter noticed my left leg had swollen, bright red and a lot hotter than the right leg (helps to have a daughter who's an RN at the local Level One Trama hospital!).
    Now I was taken back to the lab to check for a blood clot but there was none
    Now mind you, about ever 3 hrs some demonic person would come in and stick me for blood. This includes all night long the entire time I was there (midnite,3am and 6am)..It was the fact they would stick me, then twist the damn needle if they missed the vein. That happened about 30% of the time. We're talking a painfull time for me (notice it didn't bother them).
    And let's not forget having someone come in at 2am to take your BP and at 5am to take your bood sugar (least that one isnt really painful) so sleeping is out of the question plus I love how when they barge in they just throw on the massive lights.
    They "think" I have cellutitis (?) but as I have responded the the massive amount of "cocktail meds" they had given me, least I'm feeling a lot better. My leg is still swollen, red and sore but nothing like it was..
    But as I was being discharged, the doctor not only gave me a prescription for meds but told me to hire a diver from now on....
    Took my first shower since Thursday and also had the fun of removing SEVENTEEN of those damn sticky ekg and other sicky tabs they super glue to your chest hair.
    But all I can say is.... Boat sweet Boat....
    And the Admiral DID have a case of Miller Lite on ice for me......
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: How cleaning hull=4 days in hospital

yikes...

glad you're doing better... i've been scrubbing my boats for years, gotten hundreds of cuts, never had an issue... probalby has to do with the quality of the water...

there was a thread on that last week on boatered... i was skeptical but someone posted a similar story.

good luck on your recovery !

PS... "Took my first shower since Thursday " you could have left out that little detail :-)
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

3. Re: How cleaning hull=4 days in hospital

good to hear ya back and drinking the real meds...
    ---/Neosin/--GulfCoastCruisers.us-----
    1972 Hatteras 44 TC "Blessed Luxury" (pic) Gone but still loved!

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Tim. 2:15)

A customer of mine darn near died in a similar scenario. He fell off his boat and put a gash in his leg which became badly infected, presumably from the sea water (in Ft Lauderdale). Its now a year later and he still limps.

Thanks for the story, and glad to hear your are recovering. Helps me justify paying the yard last week for doing the bottom.

Read somewhere that the stuff that grows in diesel can cause some real problems if that gets into a cut. We also heard stories of coral continuing to grow in the body after breaking off in a puncture wound.

In any event hope you make a complete recovery.

Two years ago, my left Knee starting swelling up and turning red, just so happens I had been cleaning the bilge for a couple of days prior. It got so bad that on Halloween night I went to the hospital (not a good night to go). The doc on call looked at me and had a INTERN come back and start shoving a needle under my Knee cap looking for fluid. :0 EGADS! They started me on IV anti's but by midnight had not moved me to a room. I left and went home. Three days later I saw a Knee doc, and he almost sent me straight to the hospital, but didn't. Three weeks later it started to get better. It had to be something in the bilge. Never did really find out what caused it. It was swollen twice its size, bright red and HOT! I wear Knee pads nowdays or long pants whenever I'm "in the hole".

Hope you get well soon.

Captned
    Miami Beach

7. Re: How cleaning hull=4 days in hospital

look at this article

http://aphriza.wordpress.com/2007/06...-in-the-water/

If you are out in the big blue water you are probably ok, but in the cess pools we create near shore, which also wind up in the bilge, there is no telling what is in the water in the local marina. If you don't have strong tides or are in a basin that is very calm, you can have high levels of some nasty stuff.

Marine life have some pretty nasty bacteria of their own, and many a fisherman has been done in from a simple cut or scratch.

Don't be such a tough guy if you get a cut, boil it out with peroxide immediately. Better to err on the safe side, especially as we all get older.

Here is what the government is working on for our military, and biological issues are a concern. Is there something the government is not telling us?

http://www.natick.army.mil/about/pao...c/sealsuit.htm
    Last edited by Boss Lady; 08-13-2007 at 07:25 PM.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

My SCUBA instructor was extremely vocal about any cuts from coral/barnacles - saying that left untreated they will become infected. He made it sound extremely important to be cautious about this - he said to always wear a wet suit/gloves if doing any work or diving where you will come in contact with coral/barnacles. He also said treat immediately with peroxide. Further, he said that if you are in an area where they don't allow you to wear gloves - some marine nat parks (Czumel and Cayman, for example - don't touch anything!

Again - that was his advice/training. Personally I have no idea but he sure was adamant!

Hope you are all recovered.

Believe it or not the toxins from the paint we put on our boats could cause a problem too.

My SCUBA instructor also warned us of the cuts and scrapes we would get and how they needed to be treated quickly. Although I agree with Dr. Jim on peroxide not helping the wound heal I use alcohol to cleanse any cuts I get while cleaning the bottom. Although it usually is a 2 treatment process. One on teh outside and one in a glass.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Aaww, Charlie, sorry to hear of your bad situation. Glad to hear that you are back home and recovering.