Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Therapy

Re: Therapy

It seems to me that replacement should be done only if the through hulls and seacocks are bad.

The big item that concerns me is electrolysis corrosion. They could look fine but be ready to come apart, all pink on the inside. How do you check 'em for that?
    Trav
    45C 447, Series I, '72
    Pensacola, Fl

I replaced the original bronze seacocks (Weems and Plathe tapered cylinder type) on our 1977 SF during re-power, but only because the new motors needed a bigger raw water intake. If you have that type, they are easy to disassemble and inspect/repair on the hard. You just remove the retaining nut (on the smaller end of the cylinder as I remember) and the larger end cap and the tapered cylinder should slide/tap out. Lapping with valve compound if needed, or just a good cleaning plus a little grease and they are as good as new unless you see red/pink color (evidence of corosion/electrolysis). They do tend to stick if you don't work them once in a while, but we all always shut them when we leave the boat, right?
    Regards, Bob K

Thanks to everyone for a lot of good information and advice. I was able to find a place I could borrow a step wrench. Let's just hope that the two knobs protruding inside the thruhull are not corroded so I can get a snug fit. I plan to make this a project the last week of September. I will let you all know how it goes.

Jim