Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cleaning Electronics Display Screens

I didn't want to steal JLR's thread (cleaning binnoculars) so I thought it best to start anew and ask what is best to clean electronic's screens (GPS, sunder, radar, PC, coke machine, etc.).

Before you say read the instructions, I have. And no two suggest the same thing.

Also, if I'm correct, these instruments have plastic screens.

Thanks,
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Re: Cleaning Electronics Display Screens

a moist, soft cloth is all that's required. detergents are not recommended and never use windex on any LCD or plastic type screens. glass is ok I guess.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

And never spray the display. Moisten the cloth.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

When I first got my Garmin 182C back in 2002 the owners manual did not include cleaning instructions. Of course I wound up removing the anti-glare coating in no time. Using Garmin's wonderful customer service, I wound up sending the unit back and having it re-coated for free. They told me to use a soft cloth and the same spray that one would use on computer screens. Although I was very careful, I still managed to remove some of the coating. Back it went to Garmin again for another free re-coating (though they indicated this would be the last time they did for free).

Neither my Garmin nor my Raymarine units are flush mounted. Every couple of weeks, I take them home and rinse them under the kitchen sink. I then lay them face down on a dish cloth to dry. Been doing that for 3 years with no issues.

Of course, if your electronics are flush mounted that's kind of hard to do.
    Regards,

Doug L.

I used to have one of them there palm pilots and you could by stick on protectent tape. I'm sure you can find larger sheets of it. That may be worth trying on the LCD's.