Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Uh Oh - Need opinions quick please

Have not signed final acceptance to purchase on the boat. Just found a serious deck/core problem inside the P flybridge. Water is leaking into the salon where the big bundle of wires pierces the deck. 6" away from that the deck is cracked and bulging upward by about 1". The crack is in an L shape about 6" x 6". Surveyor had said he noted moisture in that area but obviously did not see the huge breach.

Only reasonable fix I can see is to pull the bridge, fix the core and reassemble. Any guesses as to how much that might cost ???
    Attached Images
    Last edited by GJD; 07-29-2007 at 04:38 PM.
    Greg
    Kimidee
    '86 53' MY

Kimidee's for sale! http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986.../United-States

Re: Uh Oh - Needs opinions quick please

Sorry to hear this. Prior to selling my boat, I discovered and similar situation. I had a 4" crack in the gelcoat which had allowed water to delaminate the house side for a radius of 3'. Had 2 Fiberglass experts bid the job. Both bids came within a stones throw of $12,000.

It sounds like your problem is even more advanced. Genesis has a very detailed thread of his adventure repairing a bit of a coring problem near his bow and said it would have been priced at $10,000 or more top fix.

Sorrry to be the bearer of bad news, but these problems are never cheap or easy. Plus, it takes real craftmanship to perform the repair correctly.

That looks like rust! Hatteras used metal plates under the glass to inset eyes and pull the parts from the mold. Typically as the glass shrinks they cause a bulge. I have removed 3 steel plates from my cockpit and deck. I bet that is what you are looking at. I have never seen rotten balsa cause a deck to bulge and crack.

Interesting point ddis! I hadn't thought of that one and yet I'm at a loss too to explain the rusty looking discoloration.
    Greg
    Kimidee
    '86 53' MY

Kimidee's for sale! http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986.../United-States

Rotting core does take on a brownish color. Sometimes "weeping" out of screw holes and/or cracks.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Thats rust not brown/black balsa mush.