Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DD oil leaks

DD oil leaks

OK guys where are the most likely oil leaks on a 6-71N. I just now had a small amount of oil under one engine, first time. I had kept a diaper under each engine but they never got oil on them so I removed them because they get damp and don't dry well. I wiped up the oil, not much and replaced the diaper. Which is still clean. But I don't want it to happen again. I think it came out when I was doing a high speed run trying to avoid a storm. 20 minutes at almost WOT into 60mph winds and 4-5 ft waves. Lots of water everywhere. Not fun. But it beat going directly into the storm. Any suggestions from brother 6-71 users?

BILL

Re: DD oil leaks

detroits do not leak. They perspire oil.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

My 6-71N's perspire like stuck pigs. Can't see where it comes from, its just there. I did find a little leak at the oil pressure sender connections. The rest appears as oil vapor. Just a fine oil slick at various areas of the ER.
    Illegitimum non carborundum
    My drinking team has a fishing problem.

Well, for large computer applications by major vendors, their apps can have major issues, but which they cannot cure. Such issues are termed "features" (in all seriousness). I believe leaking oil is a "feature" of DD's.

However more seriously, I do have one engine that is puking oil into the bunker at the rate of a qt. in 3-4 hours, which exceeds the usually published 1 to 1.5 qts/10 hours as "normal". I will be looking at the inspection plates, plus checking the slobber tube hose that runs to some type of catch bottle. The other engine is pretty stable, but does spit some into the bunker.

So I will watch for answers on this thread. I will mention that my "tin" valve cover (not the modern cast aluminum), was off to have broken handles replaced a few years ago. After reinstalled, bled like a stuck pig off the back of the engine, until we reset the rubber gasket under the cover.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

5. Re: DD oil leaks

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    detroits do not leak. They perspire oil.
    That is the best way you could put it. One day you might have a leak here, then the next a leak over there but yesterday's leak will be gone. I've just assumed it's sweeting when i'm on it and lazy when i'm not...
    ---/Neosin/--GulfCoastCruisers.us-----
    1972 Hatteras 44 TC "Blessed Luxury" (pic) Gone but still loved!

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Tim. 2:15)