Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Has anybody used one of these?

It's a 12V air supply device and snorkle for "shallow" diving. Seems good for cleaning props, etc.

(I used to be NAUI certified but got out of it long ago due to a bad ear. But this thing is tempting in that I would only be going down about 5').

Maybe there's something else out there at a better price?

(Hope Karl sees this).

http://www.browniedive.com/hooka/pressure.shtml
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Re: Has anybody used one of these?

It looks pretty cheap but some how overpriced.?.? You should still be certified and you could buy a 1st/2nd stage with 60' or so of hose and just leave the tank on the dock. You may need a weight belt to keep you down.

Here is a 110v hookah with a little better airhose than the 12v if that is the way you really want to go......
    http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Categ...160.html?Hit=1
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

Brownie sure has a good name over the years. That is very cool just what the doctor ordered for changing out zinc's etc.

Good post, thanks Ive often thought about such a device. I've compared it to a tank etc etc. Tanks are large and combursome and you have to deal with getting them on and off, and when your in shallow water they are harder to use. A powered snorkel would be great for the Gulf coast.

garyd
    Have Fun Boating

I have a 25' hose and leave the tank on deck or on the dock. If I really want to swim around and clean the waterline, I'll sometimes use just a pony tank on a backpack.

Those powered units do look interesting, tho.

K

a few of the divers use them arund here to clean boats, although they seem to use the AC version.

you still need to be certified though.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

That is way cool, ones on ebay ' Item number: 200129514787 '

Maybe, if i get a JOB..... :-)

Rick
    1973 38 FBDC
    rswirtz@hotmail.com

Ok Capt Bill

Here is a Reg for $125

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.as...#ReviewInfoTab

Here is a weight belt for $13

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Categ...MWB.html?Hit=1

I would get a length of air hose equal to the length of your boat. ($50?)

$6 to rent a tank and you are golden. For under $200 you have a setup that should last a very long time.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

8. Re: Has anybody used one of these?

I'm a padi driver working on dive master, no way would i trust that... If you really need you an easy up just grab a small tank and some easy BC, simple rig...

That way your free in the water and can do whatever you need. Should would hate to be under with that thing and have a current pick up ACK and your 5 - 6 foot under the boat... No thanks....

We do use ground supplied air, but it's a good mix and gas powered... That thing is just compressed air and you just know your gonna get some type of weird mix every foot deeper you go from the pressure on the pump... Anyways my advise... stay away and just get you a small setup (tank, reg, bc) for fixing things... That do make a small tank re-filler for about 4- 5k that gives you the right normal mix would be perfect to put somewhere in your engine room just for filling your own tanks...
    ---/Neosin/--GulfCoastCruisers.us-----
    1972 Hatteras 44 TC "Blessed Luxury" (pic) Gone but still loved!

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Tim. 2:15)