Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Material/Fastner Installer Modification Device - 101

After many years of chipping small bits of gelcoat, creating fractures and otherwise manifesting poor workmanship, I have finally reached the conclusion that really don't know what I'm doing.

Ok. That admitted, (I'm embarrassed to ask) how do you drill a small hole in fiberglass/gelcoat, about the size necessary to install a No. 8 or 10 screw, without damaging the gelcoat surface that immediately surrounds the hole?
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Talking Re: Material/Fastner Installer Modification Device - 101

Carefully

If you relieve the gelcoat with a larger bit or countersink it should not crack. Also be sure of the pilot hole size and the screw. If you push too large a screw in the pilot hole it will cause cracking.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Re: Material/Fastner Installer Modification Device - 101

As per previous comment, it is important to drill the correct size hole for the size screw you'll be using. It is a common error to drill too small of a hole. I would use a 'brad point' drill bit. A 'brad point' bit has extra cutters at the outside edge of the hole diameter which will score the outside edge of the hole, just before the boring-cutters engage the fiberglass.

Use a new drill bit if possible. Brad-point bits are available at most Home Centers, catalogs or wood worker's hardwares, such as Rockler's. I bought a set of 8 at Home D's for about $10.00.
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan