Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Candidates for repowering and refurbishing

What series/models will make good candidates for rebuilding? I have 500k in cash and want a large boat for my wife and I to travel and live on 4 to 5 months a year. I have no problem handling a twin screw vessel in the 65' range, and want a boat with the room for two large staterooms with queen berths. The boat is to be cruised in the PNW and up to SE Alaska. Then Baja and the Carribean, though we will probably ship her through the Canal.

I plan to find a decent starting point for 300k to 400k, pay 1/2 down and finance the balance. This will leave 300k or so to refit and re power. Is this a doable budget? Remember that I do not intend to make a profit on this, just get exactly the boat we want, equipped the way we want. I am considering Hatteras, Burger, Bertram and others. A cockpit MY would be the ideal candidate, are there any generations that are better than others? Also we plan to cruise at 12 to 15 kts with a top end of 18 at the most.

Re: Candidates for repowering and refurbishing

I think in todays market what you want to do should be easy just take a look at yachtworld and you will see some cockpit 61s and similiar. Also check out the boats for sale on this forum. There is a 67' cockpit late 80s for $439,000.

Lots of good boats very reasonable right now good time to buy and you might not even have to do as much re furb as your thinking either.

Good Luck

Brian

Thank you, I wasn't planning on spending all the money on the refit, just giving a top to my budget. The ideal is to buy some guy's baby after he decides to go ashore after a lifetime of messing about in boats. Certainly an interior redo with new household systems is guaranteed as is a redo of the electrical system inc. gen sys. Hull and main engines may not need upgrading for a season or two. Same with electronics: GPS, laptop and a good depthfinder will get you a long way.

There seem to be many different hulls offered over the years is there a guide to telling them apart? I mean among the MY, YF types not the convertable/sportfisher type. Is an 58 and 65 LRC hull out of the same mold as the motoryachts? How do you tell which hulls are better seakeepers? They all have room to make 4 people comfortable at anchor.

West11, buy yourself a PowerBoat Guide, by Ed McKnew & Mark Parker. It is available in electronic or paperback versions, about $80, worth every dollar!! These guys are pretty objective and provide reasonable 'generalized' comments.
    For what you are looking for, go the Boats for Sale on this forum and buy the 67'CPMY from Guzman. It looks to be a great boat at at a very good price!! I think you'd be very pleased!
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

It doesn't have 2 queen berths but I like the 61 cpmy with 12v71TI's. Great buy with the cruising speed numbers ypu're talking. Grest buys out there now.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

. Is an 58 and 65 LRC hull out of the same mold as the motoryachts

I don't think so I'm pretty sure those are full displacement hulls with smaller much more fuel efiecent engines and a great salty look. That's the type of boat I prefer problem is that your going to pay a lot more for an older beat up LRC than you will for a nice clean well maintained MY. I ended up buying a 61 MY for that very reason and I don't regret it. I got more power than I need and use more fuel than I like but if you sit down and figure out just how many miles you would have to travel to equal the intial cost diffrence I'll just never get enough time off to do that.

You also mentioned wanting to go about 15kts the LRCs are strictly hull speed.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Degulis View Post
    . Is an 58 and 65 LRC hull out of the same mold as the motoryachts

You also mentioned wanting to go about 15kts the LRCs are strictly hull speed.

Brian

I could be very happy at hull speed for a 65' boat, but will be looking for a MY for the same reasons as you. How is your boat in the mid teens? Is there a sweet spot in regards to being on or off plane? How do these hulls do in the displacement mode?

I like to cruise at 8 to 10 kts, but it is nice to have more speed when it's needed.

West11, I cruise my 61MY much like a trawler, 1400-1500rpm @ 12kts. My fuel burn is reasonable, about 20-25gph. Like Brian, I would have liked to find a great 58-65 LRC but the prices are much higher. The LRCs are a different hull - great boats overall! My boat has more power than I need but it isn't a big deal. Remember the 61MYs are galleys up, the 61 CPMYs are galleys down.
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

I have an idea how you can spend your 500k and no more and have a mostly new boat.

Randy Register has a 58my for sale in fl. He is there now trying to sell it before he is forced to move it to TN per his insurance company demand. he bought the boat to refurb it but had change in plan, he is stuck with 2 boats and wants to sell the 58, it has one blown 1271, it has been dismantled and is completely rebuildable. the bown engine was his doing right after he bought the boat. anyhow the boat is in good shape and needs an owner with the cash and will to make her new again.

buy it for less than 125k, ship it to tom slane and have him make you what ever you want and have a new boat for most likely less than the 500k that you are willing to spend out of pocket and not have any payments to make.

I just herd that he is trying to get a crew together to move the boat north from Tampa FL to BFE Tennessee where he lives. going to be a long tough ride on one motor. You could however hook up for part of the trip and if you like the boat then make him a deal on the way.

If you want his cell # send me a PM or call me at 407 928 5173

Steve Hierholzer

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    I could be very happy at hull speed for a 65' boat, but will be looking for a MY for the same reasons as you. How is your boat in the mid teens? Is there a sweet spot in regards to being on or off plane? How do these hulls do in the displacement mode?

I like to cruise at 8 to 10 kts, but it is nice to have more speed when it's needed.
    I can only speak with certainity about the 61 MY but similiar hats are probably the same. I get to hull speed at 1200 RPM at that speed there is almost no lift and I'm running about 9.5 KTs burining about 14 GPH with one gen running. I generaly run at 1400 RPM @ 10.5 KTs burning 16 GPH and there is a little lift at that speed.

I can run up to around 1600 RPM @ 12.5 KTs but no more until I come up to 2000 RPM and get it up on plane. 1600 RPM is pretty much as fast as your going to run and still be in a partialy displacment mode after that the boats just not happy until it's out of the hole and running. I don't have any fuel burn above 1400 cause I just don't ever run faster than that.

As far as performance at displacement speed goes all my previous boats where foreign built trawlers some full displacement some semi displacement. The 61 runs better at hull speed than any of those boats did it's got a nice deep for foot in the bow and I guess shear weight helps also.

I think if your crossing oceans you would see the benefit of full displacement. But for typical cruising in my opinion you get a much more comfortable and safer ride out of a 61. Especially if it's stabilized the stabilizers are pretty efective @ 1400 RPM but if I'm stuck with a beam see sometimes I'll bring it up to 1500 - 1600 RPM at that speed they are very efective and unlike a full displacement you don't have that constant rolling.

Brian