Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Its not about a Hatt, but plz help

I just bought a 220B Angler 2001,( like we needed another boat). It has twin 2002 115hp $ stroke EFi's on it. The motors only have 150 hrs on them. They were used and then sat for almost a year, and barely used.
    On the test run they got to high 4000rpms, but blamed it on poor propage
    (15P Blackmaxes). Took it out and fueled it up, and noticed a drop of rpms, decided to change the filters, and now the motors will not get over 2500rpm @ WOT. Took it to the mechanic today and he said both engines are only running on 2 cylinders. Checked the coils and they were not the problems.
    He claims that it is the ignition system (pcm). Is it possible that this same problem can be occuring on both engines. I just find it hard to belive that both motors have an ignition problem at the same time.

If anyone has any insight into this problem, as it is a holiday here (bahamas) and i wont get to talk to mech til wend.

Thanks for you help

Capt Adam R.
    1971 45 Hatt Sportfisherman
    1979 42 Post
    1989 33 Tiara express fisherman conversion
    1985 36 Hatt Express
    1978 28 Bretram express
    Laser #188167
    Snipe #28678

www.chubascocharters.com
    Quit Wishin Lets Go Fishin

2. Re: Its not about a Hatt, but plz help

If the powerheads are only hitting on two holes they'd be shaking like crazy.

If not, my money is on a fuel restriction. Betcha got one tank and the pickup is plugged or something similar.

BTW don't run it hard like that - it'll run lean and burn the hell out of the pistons. Not good.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

3. Re: Its not about a Hatt, but plz help

agreed... I had a 1998 grady white tigercat with yahs 200s needed tanks cleaned, lines, fliters and carbs cleaned. I couldn't get over 3000rpm until i did it. Now i can hit 5200 WOT and they run like champs...

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
    If the powerheads are only hitting on two holes they'd be shaking like crazy.

If not, my money is on a fuel restriction. Betcha got one tank and the pickup is plugged or something similar.

BTW don't run it hard like that - it'll run lean and burn the hell out of the pistons. Not good.

Re: Its not about a Hatt, but plz help

check spark on all cylinders, and check compression on all holes before you go any further.

Where are you located? I can help you walk thru stuff if you want, worked on tons of those turds

What flavor of motor is it? Merc EFI's sometimes have a spin on fuel filter under the cowling.

Merc 115hp 4 Strokes.
    During idle they will sputter and surge, and you can smell gasoline in the exhaust. They will Rev as far as you want them to in Neutral, and sound fine doing it, but not under load. Both engines have their own pickups in the tank, both have seperate water seperators. There is just a small clear filter body under the cowling. I find it very hard to belive that both engines would have an ECM problem at the exact same time.

On another note, Thanks for replying, i got 80 views on THT and no help.
    Gotta love the Hatteras brotherhood.
    1979 42 Post
    1985 36 Hatt Express
    1978 28 Bretram express
    Laser #188167
    Snipe #28678

www.chubascocharters.com

hmm, 4strokes. They are pretty bulletproof. I thought you had 2 strokers

Check your fuel, you may have gotten a load of crap.

changed the filters before the problem started, dumped the filters yesterday evening, they were clean, no water or gunk, unless there is something dissolved in the fuel that is clogging up the injectors.
    1979 42 Post
    1985 36 Hatt Express
    1978 28 Bretram express
    Laser #188167
    Snipe #28678

www.chubascocharters.com

you have any 5 or 6 gallon portable outboard tanks?

beg/borrow one or two if u dont and hook them up directly to the motors. You can T one tank into both motors.

Try to start with simple things first. It's highly unlikely something complex failed on both motors.

edit: I just remebered, those motors may have "limp home" mode that limits max RPM. Do you have any lights/buzzers?

nope, no buzzers or lights are going off. (if they work, just bought the boat a week ago).

Is there any way to reset out of that mode, maybe by disconnecting batts, but would stil need to figure why both motors would go into that mode.
    1979 42 Post
    1985 36 Hatt Express
    1978 28 Bretram express
    Laser #188167
    Snipe #28678

www.chubascocharters.com

Is there a secondary filter? I have a pair of zuki's that would not run right and the secondaty filters ended up to be the cause.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son