Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

ICW just north of Beaufort, NC

I will be leaving the lower Chesapeake Bay and cruising NC for 2 weeks this Saturday. I read on the salty southeast website that the primary means to get to Taylors Creek and the Beaufort waterfront was by Russell Slue channel. I am hoping that I misunderstood that. Can I still go down the ICW and under the highrise bridge and around Radio Island or do I have to go down Russell Slue by Town Creek Marina and under the small drawbridge? Also is the sound side channel to Hatteras OK for a boat that draws 5 feet? Is the ICW around the New River Inlet still a problem? I have cruised NC's coast for around 12 years now but would appreciate any info you might have on cheap fuel, problem areas etc. Thank You.

Re: ICW just north of Beaufort, NC

Yes you can go under the high rise bridge and around Radio Isalnd to get to Beaufort. No problem. Sorry but I don't know the answer to your other questions.

I just went from Wilmington to Beaufort on my 53c this past weekend. ICW was no problem through that area.

Under the hi-rise and around Radio Island is the fail-safe way to Beaufort. Russell Slough / Gallant's Channel has enough water, but it is narrow with one foot or so with rock-hard sand on either side. Can be tight maneuvering with current while you wait for the swing bridge to open. If you are going by Hatteras be sure to check out Ocracoke. Short bike ride to #1 beach in the country. Try Anchorage Marina. Most stuff within 5 minutes walk, everything within a 10 minute bike ride.

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    I will be leaving the lower Chesapeake Bay and cruising NC for 2 weeks this Saturday. I read on the salty southeast website that the primary means to get to Taylors Creek and the Beaufort waterfront was by Russell Slue channel. I am hoping that I misunderstood that. Can I still go down the ICW and under the highrise bridge and around Radio Island or do I have to go down Russell Slue by Town Creek Marina and under the small drawbridge? Also is the sound side channel to Hatteras OK for a boat that draws 5 feet? Is the ICW around the New River Inlet still a problem? I have cruised NC's coast for around 12 years now but would appreciate any info you might have on cheap fuel, problem areas etc. Thank You.
    You souldn't have any trouble with depths on the Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds. I've made that run too many time to count with deep draft vessles. Watch your weather though. The sounds can get real dicey in a hurry and taking the ICW may be better choice. As for fuel I'd check with Jarret Bay in Beaufort. Phone (252)-728-2690 If you are taking on a 1,000 or more you'll get a cheaper rate just ask for it though. Their rates are usually better than Beaufort town docks. Today their price is $2.79. They are a few miles north of the highrise bridge on the east side of the ICW.

The Coinjock Marina is also a good place to stop if you need to. Phone (252) 453-3271 The fuel is usually a little cheaper ($2.59 today) than the other marina across the ICW and the restaurant has good prime rib. There really isn't a convienent place to stop until you get to Oriental, NC. The depth can be an issue there. Don't get suckered in by the dockmaster.

Best of Luck!

Fuel is less in VA by .15 - .20 per gal. We just came from Surf City, NC.
    Just watch the markers in the ICW and you should be OK. Favor the green side going into the Alligator River.
    All other info is good.
    Kerry Alexander
    Diamond Sun
    !969 50MY

7. Re: ICW just north of Beaufort, NC

Our Fuel price is now 2.54

This is up a bit part due to the low sulfer content changes they are making in the fuel.

My promise still remains.........any HOF member who stops by can get diesel at 15 cents off.

My daughter made a boo boo last week when she said some one called about this, not realizing they were a HOF member.

Who ever that was, my apologies.