Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

New Onan MJDE generator

Ok so it is from the 70s and i boughtit used but its new to me. It fits in the bilge and the rear section of the enclosure is there. No I have to wire it into the boat and close the hush box but so far so good.
    Last edited by Boatsb; 10-09-2008 at 01:22 PM.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Re: New Onan MJDE generator

more pictures
    Last edited by Boatsb; 10-09-2008 at 01:22 PM.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Although many complaints about the Onan's, my rebuilt, now with 10 years on it, 1972 MDJE is quite stable (good 110v and 12v- knock on wood). I would just check that both the glow plugs (one/cyl) are good and the "toaster oven", i.e. pre-heater elements are both operational (two elements in the heater) and that the raw water impeller has no cracks (none- if so, replace- cheap).

I would think it would start well (always wants a one minute pre-heat with the switch) and may smoke one cyl for a minute. Mine uses no oil over the season. Spray a little WD-40 on the "follow-thru" on top of the starter which is first called when starting and makes up to run the starter. If sticks, the relay points are not made up and starter will no spin.

Try to run her with a 60-70% of load. If idled for a long period, which should be avoided to prevent "wet stacking", which is soot accumulation in the exhaust, then put a load on her with the two A/C units, and/or run the stove elements for 2-3 minutes to clean her out.

Let us know how she runs after you have had up and running for awhile. I have a 43'MY and she is rated to run the entire boat of a 50amp (normal boat) and 30amp (A/C) panel. She does this well, IMHO.

My 2CW...
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 07-09-2007 at 12:55 PM. Reason: typo
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

I had her running on the bench and cleaned her up and painted her too. FYI the ACE rust stopper off white is a great match.

The glow plugs and preheater are fine and the unit dies not leak any oil. I did have an issue with the primary fuel pump loosing a valve and not working but that may be fixed. If not a new pump will be bought.

har part is finding the right size belt. No one has the right size in stock so I may need to order it. Too big or too small at all my suppliers.

It's a bit loud but the enclosure should help that. The plan is to be able to sleep with the AC running.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I have the same unit in my 73/43. It has the sound shield and I don't have any trouble sleeping nights. It will also run every thing on board. It's 6.5 KW.

BILL