Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Any pilots?

Re: Any pilots?

I have lots of friends who are pilots. I don't fly. I will fly with most anyone EXCEPT another doctor. One of my doctor friends died flying with another doctor. No thanks. We fly as badly as we write.

I taught a doctor how to fly once. Your correct he was terrible. I never knew a plane could go through the air so miserably. As soon as he took control it was like the plane was trying to carve a hole in the sky. He could get it from point a to point b and was realitively safe but a true pilot he was never going to be LOL.

garyd
    Have Fun Boating

The early v-tail Bonanza, nick-named the forked tail doctor killer (no offense Jim

I'm not surprised that so many pilots are also involved in boating. There are similar challenges and skills involved, and similar rewards. In boating, the old adage might be "mind thy depth less Neptune hole thy vessel!"

Dave

Got half way thru my private when I realized that it was going to take a lot of time (and $) to get proficient. Maybe when I retire I'll take it back up....but the things I enjoyed the most was the navigating/communication etc that you can do on a boat also...and if an engine stops, you can sit and drink beer while Sea-Tow comes to get you...

Plus when I was taking lessons, several planes went down in our area, which made my wife a bit uncomfortable.

Rick

Back from the dead.

I'm starting up for instrument ticket. So far I've been self studying the books and manueving on the simulator. I have X-plane and yoke/pedal/throttles deal and it is working out really nicely.

The VFR scenioy is amazing, but I don't really see that as I crank it up to cat III and fly....and occasionally hit a mountain because right now I'm just practicing "flying the gauges". My goal is to minimize "wasted" time in the airplane and practice the procedures, approaches, etc on the sim.

I think the sim is sometimes harder than the plane, because there is no feedback. Trimming is almost impossible because there is no feedback on the yoke.

All you heavy pilots, especially fly by wire, is there feedback on the flight controls?

Also, how do heavy's do crosswind landings?

Also, for the GA guys, what publications do you read? I get Aviation Consumer, Aviation Safety (highly recommend), Plane and Pilot, and Kitplanes. I also hit avweb on occasion and overtheairwaves.com. I went up to Oshkosh this year too.

I passed 100 hours last month (got ticket in April) and hopefully well get instrument ticket by graduation this may (may have to beg/borrow some funds hahaha). I feel flying is ALL or NONE...too dangerous to be a "part time hobby", that and the fair weather flier are scary!

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I have lots of friends who are pilots. I don't fly. I will fly with most anyone EXCEPT another doctor. One of my doctor friends died flying with another doctor. No thanks. We fly as badly as we write.
    Yes Jim, I trained some doctors. Very tough. As someone else here said the old V tailed Beech Bonanza was known as the "forked tail doctor killer". Most doctors seemed to buy those lovely little airplanes.
    Last edited by Maynard Rupp; 10-10-2007 at 06:53 PM.

Now all the doc's/lawyers/etc buy cirrus because it has a parachute!

9. Re: Any pilots?

76 hours in a J3 Cub
    20 hours in a 172
    44 hours in Comanche 250
    20 hours in a Bonanza
    41 hours in Navaho
    The rest of the time the professionals do their job and I sit in the back and drink. LOL
    I know where all the drink, ice and snack bins are on the following:
    Gulfstream GIIB
    Beech 400A
    Beech B200
    Beech B300
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

I'm a "weekend warrior" private. I usually fly low-and-slow taildraggers like Citabrias and aerobatics in a friend's Extra 300.
    Maynard, if I had the time to maintain one (I'm a renter) I'd be interested in your 182, but I have barely enough free time to maintain my boat, and still ride all 8 of my motorcycles, and race the whole season in the Porsche, and go surfing, and fish tournaments, and play golf, and......oh, yeah, work)
    I've got a bunch of hours in 182's, and for my money, they're the best all around personal airplane. Not very fast, but they fly well, there's plenty of useful, and I can load one to the gills and drag it in and out of any postage stamp sized uphill bumpy dirt strip in Baja.
    Don't try that with a Bonanza or a Commanche.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331