Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Any pilots?

Re: Any pilots?

Sorry I didn't say this earlier. I would NEVER consider doing primarily flying for my carreer. Now, doing something that involves or is related to flying is a different story. Too many people want to be pilots and they are willing to work for cheap.

My friends are engineers that actually graduated on time make 55-65k. My other friend just started a real flying job, 20k, 4 days on, 4 off...no thanks

I just had a hunch there were quite a few pilots on these forums......

Join the Army!

Believe me, a combat tour in an infantry unit will give you the opportunity/take care of that need to be a badass.

I also have to say that everything that has followed in my life - which has been VERY good - was largely due to the the influence of 7 years in the Army.

I've had my private licence since 1972. I own a 24,000 ft grass strip and a 60 X 80 hanger. But no plane today. Had a TriPacer. I like boats better.

BILL

Just a hobby pilot with a Private. Flew Skyhawks but not current for many years, just too many interruptions to stay current. Army careers can be busy at the most inconvenient times!
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

I am retired, but I flew for a major corporation for 31 years. I have 18000+ hours and flew Gulfstreams, Falcon 50, and all models of Sabreliners. I have a perfect 1979 182. I do need to sell the 182 if any of you are interested. I am not eligable for a medical for about the next 2 years.

Maynard,

You are unusually lucky to have had 31 years flying for one corporation. Many of my contemporaries in the corporate world went through employers every 3 to 5 years or so, as the fortunes of companies changed, airplanes were sold, or as the views of new senior executives dicatated. For most of them it was not a stable career either, but they loved it anyway. Corporate flying does have its perks, as you know.

Dave

I should have added, for the sake of anyone else considering a career in the cockpit who might eventually read this thread, that corporate and fractional flying may represent a better career in than the airlines in the forseable future. Post 9/11, most business travelers have gone to fractional aircraft or corporate aircraft; only the discretionary traveler remains for the air carrier industry. And I would be remiss if I didn't say that some of the most amazing opportunities are in the military....Navy flying from a carrier anyone?

I'm a DC-10 Captain for a freight hauler. I started pumping gas 7 days a week at the local FBO for flight time. Eventually, I got all of my ratings. I flight instructed for what seemed like a looong time. I saved up my money and married my wife on an instructors salery. Just as we were about to starve to death, I got hired as a flight engineer on a DC-8. I upgraded to F/O about two years later. I have survived 6 furloughs, 2 bankruptsies, one merger and about 10,000 hours to get to where I happly am today.
    C-152
    C-172
    C-182
    C-337
    C-401
    C-402
    C-421
    Beechcraft:
    sundowner
    Bonanza
    Barron
    Piper:
    Cherokee
    Worrior
    Tramahawk
    twin commanche
    Seneca I and II
    Navajo
    Boeing 727's
    Douglas DC-8's and DC-10's
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

I've heard many people say "concentrate on making money and buy a plane if you want to fly so bad".

I'll second the Navy guys....they put the AF guys to shame haha trashtalking.

ATP 3500 hrs etc etc. Flying is fun until you do it for a Job then it becomes work. Plus the old adage "maintain thy airspeed else the earth will come up and smite thee" doesn't apply to boating LOL.

garyd
    Have Fun Boating