Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Any pilots?

Re: Any pilots?

The commuters might have a bent on former military but the majors are still hiring high percentages of them. The shortage is real, my airline is going to retire a huge percentage of our ranks in the next 10 years. I gained about 600 numbers this year. Glad to hear he got a great job!

As always it's a very few that ruin it for the group. There have been a few mil pilots that abused the (mandated) mil leave to "work" their schedule in their disproportionate favor. Companies were not happy, some counter measures were taken, of course some law suits followed and there you have it, another situation with a lot of bad information floating around.

I can guarantee you that my airline (one of the big 4) will happily hire qualified military pilots. If you didn't get hired and you were military that may very well not be BECAUSE you were military. If that was your perception, well then maybe your perception was off. Maybe a bad perception is what didn't get you hired.

Now, passing the Hogan assessment is another story. Those of us already here are scratching our heads over how some get through and some don't. We suspect that if all of us had to take that thing tomorrow the skies would be pretty empty......

And yes, the regionals are having trouble filling seats right now, and it's only going to get worse.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 08-24-2019 at 02:34 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Agree on all points! I’m something special in the air, you Oscarvan?

Private, multi engine, seaplane ratings .. instrument of course. The instrument rating is liberating and your ticket to long distance travel.

2500 hours and finally got some of it out of my system.

Airplanes I owned:

Mooney M20K 252 - (with partners .. wonderful experience)
    Piper Malibu JetProp #26 - with 2 of the Mooney partners.
    Beechcraft Baron 55
    Beechcraft Baron 58
    King Air C90A

Also owned a PA12 180hp with Skis, Floats and Tundra tires.

I sold the King Air in 2017. Reclaimed the tax write-off and have been saving that $12,000 per month the King Air cost for a little while now.

Flying makes boats seem cheap.

Since I can sleep on the boat and treat it like a floating condo, it beats airplanes hands down. I was able to live without the airplane after 2500 hrs but would not enjoy life enough without the boat.

Lots of time in a super cruiser with and without skis. Racing the snowmobilers on lake Winnebago is still the most fun I’ve had in any airplane I’ve flown.

Cool Re: Any pilots?

Flying since 1984, never for a living though I do sometimes use it to get to work. I've owned Champs, Maules, a 182 and a 185 Skywagon since 2005. I've hangar and shop in Auburn WA. Goes well with boating in my opinion.
    Attached Images
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Agree on all points! I’m something special in the air, you Oscarvan?
    According to my FO's I'm pretty special all right. Ex Con... PE before. Now a brain surgeon. 33 in, three more.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Funny they call me a "native". 20 for me and 13 left if I go the distance. I'm ORD now soon to be MIA for the winter you?

Agreed dar36 and that's one sexy bi#@%! Owned a 170 for a while, what a blast. Waiting for my young prodigy to finish flight school then I'll encourage him to get an airplane for me to share. I'll supply the boat and him the airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Funny they call me a "native". 20 for me and 13 left if I go the distance. I'm ORD now soon to be MIA for the winter you?
    EWR..... Non-commuter.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay