Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a real engine....

Figured ya'll would get a kick out of some pics I have from past jobs I worked at.

$5 to the first person that guesses what the big thing is in the top of this picture:

GE 90, biggest turbofan in the world.

850 megaWatt generator (1.13 million HP)

Tug p0wnd by a barge!

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jkrushin...Connor.019.JPG

feel free to browse more pics if you want, the are here:

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jkrushin/jobs/

Re: This is a real engine....

Thats an ABB turbo charger. Who built the engine? Busch / Sulzer? What ship? The steam turbine is a 1200 MW unit. Mitsubishi? Wheres the generating station? ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 07-10-2007 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    Thats an ABB turbo charger. Who built the engine? Busch / Sulzer? What ship? The steam turbine is a 1200 MW unit. Mitsubishi? Wheres the generating station? ws
    That's a DD10-92 isn't it? Thought it looked familar.

top photo is the worlds largest diesel, being built in japan , assembled in a new container ship.

Quote Originally Posted by 67hat34c View Post
    top photo is the worlds largest diesel, being built in japan , assembled in a new container ship.
    Shoot, here and I thought it was the DD experimental "6-7100"...(emoticons not working...put wry smile here).
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

I envy anyone who has a standing room bilge.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

The diesel engine was on a container ship of abotu 800 or so feet. We were doing a hatch cover survey (it was my 2nd day on the job). The engine was made by Mitsubishi. I looked at the nameplate and took a pic, but I forgot the rating.

The steam turbine was GE I think (or Westinghouse, but pretty sure ge) and at least the generator was only rated at 850-900mW. It was one of 6 units at Possum Point power station in VA. It was 3 stage.

I posted a couple more pics here: http://filebox.vt.edu/users/jkrushin/jobs/

but I also have more that aren't uploaded (including pictures and movies looking inside the boiler view holes under fire). More ship pics too.

There was an article in the last issue of MCN on Kawasaki Heavy Industries- they build mammoth bunker oil diesels too, and there were some photos. Pistons three feet across. Max speed 150revs in the pins. Distance to crash stop boat? miles.

I have even more pics if anybody wants to see 'em.