Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
    Images

42 LRC advice for new guy

Hello all,

I have been reading and enjoying the forums silently for months. I am not currently a Hatteras owner but would love to "join the club". I like the 42 LRC, 44 TC, and 48 YF models most.

1) Does anyone know anything about this 42 LRC ?

http://www.boattraderonline.com/adde....html?89185337

It seems well priced, but it is missing a bow pulpit. I don't mind a lack of electronics, as I would prefer to pick my own. I like the fact that it has had one owner and apparently freshwater, and being from Cincinnati it is relatively close to me. Any thoughts or info on this boat would be appreciated.

2) Any experience on the wisdom and cost of adding a bow pulpit aftermarket ?

3) Anyone else have an LRC without a bow pulpit ? How do you anchor ?

Thank you - Joe

Re: 42 LRC advice for new guy

if you are looking for a 42 lrc at a low price check out this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hatte...spagenameZWDVW

Check out this website.http://www.yachtworld.com/virginiaya...brokers_8.html I own the 43 DC. The boat is very similar to the 44 TC.

Re the pulpit - When we were looking for a 53MY, we looked at a nice one that did not have a pulpit. We ended up not buying it for several reasons. NOT having a pulpit was one of them - though not the deciding factor.

Now, having had our 53 with a pulpit, I no longer see the need for it. In fact, on some occasions - rough seas - I think it's a disadvantage because it is not a structural part of the boat. It is possible that the pulpit can be damaged or even ripped off in rough seas.

It is easy to add an anchor chute to any boat and I think it's a better way to do it. I don't really see great advantage to be able to look over the pulpit as opposed to looking over the bow.

If I was looking at boats again, I would pay no attention at all to whether there was a pulpit or not. HOWEVER, I would want to see a windlass, although if there is no pulpit - there is a good chance there won't be a windlass. Hauling a 70 lb anchor and chain rode by hand is no fun!

Images

Mike,

Thank you for addressing the pulpit issue. You are right - the boat in question has no windlass or chain rode. So I am looking at that cost as well as the need to wire it properly. Not a show stopper, just something else to keep in mind.

I had never thought of just adding an anchor chute. Do any other members have descriptions or photos of such a setup ? Is there a structural or leaking issue with such an addition ?

Joe

Joe--- this is my '74 58'TC that came with a windlass and a hawse pipe aka anchor chute. Aside from having had a hard life, there are no leaks that I can tell... ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 07-10-2007 at 08:32 PM.

Images

Thanks for the photos Bill. Exactly what I was looking for. I agree - we used to call that a hawse pipe in the Navy. I guess your anchor just snugs up tight against the 2 reinforced areas on the bow ?

The anchor that fit real nicely was a stockless navy style anchor. The stock pin rusted out and I lost half the anchor in Mississippi last January coming north from Mobile to Iuka. The 44 Danforth doesnt fit nearly as well. The only replacement I can find (100# stockless) is made in china ;-((
    The windlass will hold the anchor tight, but there is a chain stopper as a backup too. Does anyone here know what the OEM anchor was for '74?? ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 07-10-2007 at 08:32 PM.