Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why no lower station on Converts/Sportfish?

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum, and at 23, probably one of the youngest. I live ON Aquia Creek, off the Potomac. Anyway, once I finish up school this year and get a job, I'm going to be in the market for a "seasoned" 42+ sportfish (meaning mid 70's or older haha).

I grew up on the water and spent many years as a boat mechanic and repairing boats, so I know what I'm getting in to.

My question is simple. Why are there not lower stations on newer boats? Many times people "update" and older girl and glass over the front windows. I plan on doing some cruising in cold weather and I definitely don't want to be stuck in the upper station with no heat! I noticed many older boats have the lower station, but newer ones don't. Obviously it's too difficult to add a station so this is going to be a major requirement for me (at least the ones needing TLC seem to have lower stations).

Any opinions?

Jay

Re: Why no lower station on Converts/Sportfish?

Welcome aboard-- now get a good shrink LOL.
    I often wondered that myself. By no means am I a fair weather sailor, but I do like to be comfortable. That includes heat and A.C. plus being able to run the boat single handed.
    A few years ago a pal was looking at a 12 meter Trojan with the upper only, and for a quarter mil I couldnt see it. Although it was soft enclosed, youd freeze your lily pads of on a 35 degree day, and thats when I like cruising.
    You should be able to strip an old Egg Harbor or such for an entire lower station. I hope your handy enough to do the wood as well as mechanical stuff.
    The purists here will scoff at the idea, but on an OLDER project boat, I have learned that if I like it, thats all that matters. Resale dollars cant even be a consideration as youll probably put 5X the resale value into it anyway. AND thats not including your own labor. I say go for it, but be prepared to spend a good part of your life and youth on it. Finish it and have something to show for it; dont finish it and recoup "0". JMOHO ws

I suspect the reason is that the intended use of the boat is mostly fishing and going to/from in rough water with seas breaking over the windshield area. With no windshield there is no way for water to leak in.

Our last boat was a 36DC Mainship. It had a helm downstairs but no gauges - just a wheel and tachometers. It was also nearly impossible to see out from that station so it was a helm in name only. It was totally useless to operate the boat. I ran it several times in unpleasant conditions from the FB and hated it!

On the other hand, if you added up the total number of hours we've put on our 53MY, I probably have operated it more often from inside than from the FB. Then again - the MY typical use and the SF/conv design use is much different. Nobody fishes (comfortably or easily, at least) from a 53MY!

But I agree with you - I wouldn't want to be stuck outside if it's uncomfortable. Inside has heat AND a/c!!!

Side note - you're definitely not the youngest! There is a fairly regular "visitor" (I could never get him to sign up) who is 18. He told me one day that he wants our 53 when we're ready to sell! The scary part (thinking back about how much money I had at his age) is he could afford it!
    Last edited by MikeP; 06-18-2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: ficks gramer and speling mizteaks

4. Re: Why no lower station on Converts/Sportfish?

Lower helms were factory options on most Hatts, including the 45 that I owned.

I didn't have it, but it was on the prints (electrical, etc)

Here's the problem - if you've got one down here in Florida, the boat is unmarketable. Nobody wants it or the space it takes up.

Now, with that said, there were days I wished I had one. And yes, I live in Florida - in the Panhandle.

So I sure see the utility...... they've disappeared with the disapperance of front window in the salon......

I'm with you - I don't like freezing my noogies off!
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

So it sounds like the vanishing of the lower helm is mainly because of looks and space versus functionality/practicality.

I also guess most sport fish are not used too much in cold weather, but when they are, I'd hate to be the captain of the charter caught in heavy seas at 30 degrees.

Talking Re: Why no lower station on Converts/Sportfish?

All you need now is a handheld remote for the cockpit.

welcome...

true hardcore sportfishes have solid fiberglass instead of glass in case they encounter nasty weather on the way to or from offshore fishing grounds... although i suspect macho looks and extra cabinetry is part of the reasoning... :-)

i dont' really buy the wasted space argument against a lower helm, it takes very little space.. you dont' have to have a permanent helm seat...

but for those who'd rarely use it, why bother with the extra instruments, steering, controls and also electronics you'll need if you run the boat in bad weather.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

You can not see very well and many SFs have a dink on the front which makes the controls worthless. Not to mention the massive loss of space. If you have a full enclosier for the bridge then you should be ok with an electric heater except on the coldest of days.

BTW yes SFs get used in Florida winters while looking for sails. This is done in the worst of conditions...
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

9. Re: Why no lower station on Converts/Sportfish?

"and at 23, probably one of the youngest"...

O U C H !!!!!!

Oh how the truth can be painfull
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

But is it actually common for the front windows to be "blown in" or is it just a matter of "group think" that they will?
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com