Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Solo Cruising

Re: Solo Cruising

I'm with the go for it crowd.
    I really enjoy going out alone. Sometimes it is for a ride after a long day/week, sometimes for a day fishing. My boat is an "open" so it is a no-brainer to handle alone. On a C, I would want cockpit controls too. Never been on a 32 Hatt, but if you are comfortable handling it in and out of a slip I think that is your answer.
    I'd line up the safety gear, make sure you have good coms for the area you are cruising and GO.
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

I don't see a whole lot of difference between running out 3 miles in a 20' center console to go fishing and running our 41'er 100 miles to Marthas Vineyard from Boston. This doesn't mean that I think anyone should venture out for a longer period of time than they can stay alert and maintain a proper lookout. I have no use for idiots that cross oceans singlehanded and depend on everyone else to watch out for them while they go below and sleep. If you exercise prudent seamanship and good judgement as to your limitations go for it. Don't plan a longer day's run than is reasonable and play the weather to be in your favor. If the forcast is bad stay at the dock and have bail out sites planned in advance. Plan your work and work your plan. This applies whether you are alone or have a full crew. Like has already been said, as Captain you are responsible for the safety of the vessel and all that are onboard.
    Just my $.02
    Enjoy, Fred

Karl,
    Only you know if you have the health and skills to do it. I'm your age and have been solo cruising San Francisco Bay and offshore in my 43' DCFB for years. Safety awareness is most important. Wear a life jacket when out on the weather decks, keep your safety gear up to snuff, know your boat etc.

And, by all means, plan, plan, plan ahead. Have a plan to leave the dock before getting underway. Have a plan in mind to maneuver and tie up to the dock before doing so. (Have your lines and fenders laid out before you make your approach.) Imagine what problems might occur and develop plans to deal with them i.e. an engine dies, you loose steering, a radio fails (do you have more than one on board), Your radar or GPS fails, etc.

In many cases, others on board lack boating and safety skills and only add to problems in an emergency anyway.

If you are comfortable with it, by all means do it.

Will
    Last edited by Will; 06-16-2007 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions, especially to Will who is of my age. My thoughts are to do some short solo cruises initially and then extend them further. I will probably explore the FL Keys before taking on the Bahamas alone.

My mother who passed away at 97 in January said that age is only a number. She was an avid salt water fisherman all her life, as well as my dad who passed away at age 88; she actually boated and fished with me into her early 90's. Is it true that Passages is 101 years young? If so, God bless him!

I look forward to anyone elses thoughts on this subject and please don't hesitate to give your condid opinions.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Is it true that Passages is 101 years young? If so, God bless him!
    Karl
    Huh? I think I better check my profile. That said, it IS my intention to be boating at age 101.

You're right. I had 1906 entered as my birth year. My bad. Only off by 5 decades.

Cool Re: Solo Cruising

Karl: what is passagemaking the way your are considering it? Isn't it going only as far in a day as you are comfortable with? Try going just five to twenty miles in a day and then anchoring in a nice protected spot or pulling into a decent marina. Enjoy yourself, take your time. After a while doing this you will be underway and eventually you'll be a long ways from home if you so choose, and you will love it.

I have done the Florida coasts, the Keys and the Bahamas over the last 40 years, mostly by myself, and I have come to realize that if I had to depend on others being with me then I might as well stay at home and I would never go anywhere.

Pascal is right, just go for it. But do it in bite sized chunks. And if you ever get lost, just pull over and ask directions. People are friendly everywhere, and a 32' boat is perfect for what you want to do. Keep a journal and a blog, take pictures, keep us posted and take us with you. You'll have friends all along the way.

Carpe Freaking Diem!

And just one more thought, consider the words of brother Frost:

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveller, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

You guys might want to check out this link. Woody is over 100 years old and is still single handling his SAILBOAT!!!

http://winterssailing.com/winterssai...ailing_21.html
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

I'm surprised at the somewhat black and white responses to a somewhat complicated question.

There are very real risks, and while some of them can be managed by prudent decision making, others are not so predictable and can have serious implications.

The size, complexity, and condition of the vessel is a consideration. The experience level of the captain is a consideration, as is his familiarity with the waters he's operating in. Obviously weather is a concern.

A 22' open console or a 30' cruiser are easily handled by one in almost any reasonable condition. However, in tight channels with a strong current or wind, or given an engine problem, even these guys can have their hands full.
    We've all seen someone like this in distress at some point, and you may have even helped them out. But boats like this are usually operated in waters where help is readily available.

A 50 or 60' boat is another situation. Given the boat's intended use, it generally may be farther from help. Can you control the vessel while fighting a fire, or correcting a mechanical problem in the engine room? (Could you maintain a proper lookout, or keep from drifting into hazards, or maintain a proper orientation to the oncoming seas? How?) If operating in a seaway, what would happen if you fell or became injured? Do you know where you'll be docking, and what the traffic/wind/tide conditions will be relative to your assigned slip or dock? What happens if your bow thruster becomes inop, or you have to dock on a single engine?

As an airline captain, my passengers would find it outrageously negligent if I did not consider, prior to every takeoff or landing, weather, possible equipement failures, runway length and contaminent conditions, and a contingency plan to account for aircraft performance following the loss of an engine. As captain of your own vessel on the waterways, Rule 2 of the Nav Rules clearly assigns you the same responsiblity, legally obligating you to the same standard of care.

All of these questions may have different answers for you on different days and for different voyages. Some days you may correctly conclude that it is reasonably safe to single hand her, and some days you can not. Prudent judgement, born of experience and or training, is required. Even then, we must remember that we cannot always predict that gremlins or weather will stay away, and after all, isn't that what we count on when making the assesment that it's safe to go out?

If someone has erred in this judgement, they may become a hazard to themselve and others, cost the taxpayers money, and indirectly contribute to rising insurance premiums.

So I guess what I'm saying is that there is no one right or pat answer to the question. There are times when I have single handed my 53 motoryact, and there are times when I simply stay in port. A long single handed cruise over weeks or months would not be practical or prudent in my boat.

10. Re: Solo Cruising

Gettin to the mid life Pascal?

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    GO FOR IT !!!!

there are many things / situations that are more "Dangerous" than using your boat alone especially in sheltered waters like the keys !

every thing we do involve some risks... why is it that everything has to be safe and sanitized and politically correct nowadays ? Kids are being raised in cocoons, we need to be protected from everything and nothing...

"Too damn much potential for unforeseen trouble, either mechanical, medical, accidental, etc. It is foolish to risk it alone."

oh come on... you have mechanical problems in the keys, you drop anchor and call for a tow! heck, you could almost walk to shore in most places...

same for a medical problem... help will be dispatched pretty quickly and if you are in too bad a shape to make a cel or vhf call, then maybe you're better off being left alone. Dying in your bunk in the slip or at sea, what's the difference.

then what, don't drive a car alone if you're 65+ in case you get a heart attack ? well, if the ole pump is going to quit, maybe it better do that north of Key Largo on the bay than next to an 18 wheeler oing 75 on 95...