Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Solo Cruising

Solo Cruising

I don't have friends or family that have time to cruise with me other than long weekends, so I've given thought to cruising the FL Keys and Bahamas by myself. I currently have a 1985 32' Hatteras flybridge sport fisherman that I put new Yanmars and electronics in last year, so she's in great shape and easy for me to handle. She does have an autopilot which is interfaced to the chart plotter, plus I have radar. If I got serious about cruising by myself, I might consider doing it with a different boat, however, my 32 would do just fine.

I hesitate to mention this, but I am 70 years old, but in very good physical and mental condition and I have over 35 years of boating and cruising experience. I've lived in FL for 30 years and have cruised to the upper Keys and several trips to Bimini and Lucaya.

I would like to know what your thoughts are about this and if any of you have experience cruising alone.

Thanks for you feedback,
    Karl

Red face Re: Solo Cruising

Karl, no matter how great of shape you are in, or how capable you are, I would strongly recommend againist cruising alone. Too damn much potential for unforeseen trouble, either mechanical, medical, accidental, etc. It is foolish to risk it alone. No matter how careful, how well prepared, or how cautious you may be - too many things (beyond your control) can happen to people. Flying airplanes and off-shore voyaging are just too unforgiving to place yourself in such a position. I know it is tempting but please do not fall victim to your emotions.

Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

Re: Solo Cruising

GO FOR IT !!!!

there are many things / situations that are more "Dangerous" than using your boat alone especially in sheltered waters like the keys !

every thing we do involve some risks... why is it that everything has to be safe and sanitized and politically correct nowadays ? Kids are being raised in cocoons, we need to be protected from everything and nothing...

"Too damn much potential for unforeseen trouble, either mechanical, medical, accidental, etc. It is foolish to risk it alone."

oh come on... you have mechanical problems in the keys, you drop anchor and call for a tow! heck, you could almost walk to shore in most places...

same for a medical problem... help will be dispatched pretty quickly and if you are in too bad a shape to make a cel or vhf call, then maybe you're better off being left alone. Dying in your bunk in the slip or at sea, what's the difference.

then what, don't drive a car alone if you're 65+ in case you get a heart attack ? well, if the ole pump is going to quit, maybe it better do that north of Key Largo on the bay than next to an 18 wheeler oing 75 on 95...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

But how do you really feel, Pascal, don't hold back....I don't think there's anything wrong with cruising alone, but I wouldn't tackle long passages by myself. If you're up to it, what the hell. Take a raft and an EPIRB and don't go too far offshore, stay with good weather. Why shouldn't you?

32' should not be too much to handle alone.

Granted I'm a bit younger, but I've gone out alone many times in my 32, 36 and even my late great 42'. (I miss it) Pascal, didn't I read you often take your 53 out alone?

The Keys are not like running offshore. If you do have a problem, help is not far away.

It boils down to how confident are you with your skills, physical fitness, and the weather forecast. Go out and enjoy. (Post pictures so we can all enjoy)
    Last edited by Passages; 06-16-2007 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Spelling

6. Re: Solo Cruising

I'd do it in a 32; if you can dock it alone, then you're fine.

That's the only issue for me. On a flybridge boat I want cockpit controls - but if I've got 'em, then no problem.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Hey Karl, I'm with the guys that say..Go FOR it! You are as young as you feel! I had another thought, what about joining a yatch club or look for a "boating group" in your area? Your power squardon is a great place to start talking to folks...If you have your boat in a marina, what about posting a note up about getting a group of people together, who like to do cruises, as yourself? If you don't mind me asking, what part of FL. are you in? I am willing to bet that if you search around, you may find and make some new boating friends!...good luck to you and keep us posted..

8. Re: Solo Cruising

Hey, isn't that what a "Float Plan" is for ? Put a cell phone antenna and booster on the boat and if you're going to be offshore or in the Bahamas invest in a sat phone. Call someone on your list once or twice a day (if for no other reason than to rub it in) and your covered.

I fully understand it's not "wise" to do alone, but I've told The Admiral for 35 yrs "If I'm to die on my boat, let it be on the way back from fishing trip, just not on the way out...
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

My biggest fear in boating is the safety of others. I try to think of everything that could go wrong because I feel that it is my job as captain. I am responsible for the well being of everyone aboard. Most of those who ride on my boat have no idea of the risk involved and they just assume that I have taken the proper steps to ensure their safety while aboard.

But solo piloting is another matter. I am also of the opinion that we need to live "free". I mean if someone wants to drive a car without a seatbelt or ride a motorcycle without a helmet, then so be it. This also goes for piloting a boat solo. I don't think it is a great idea, but the only person at risk is the captain. Would I do it? Probably not, but if someone else wants to, then who am I to say no. We each have to determine what level of risk we feel comfortable with and some are just more adventurous than others.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

it's an interesting discussion and a real eye opener for me. I always assumed that nearly all boaters had no second thoughts about taking their boat out alone. Again, not talking about passagemaking here but the typical near coastal cruising most of us do.

Actaully, I think that if you're alone on your boat vs having some non trained guests you're taking fewer chances since you won't have to worry about the safety of your passengers if something happens to you.

Powerboating isnt' about muscle power... you don't need any physical strength and if you do, then you're doing something wrong. You shouldn't have to pull a 30 ton boat to the dock or piling... never. you shodulnt' have to fend off either so it doens't matter if you're a tough 250 lbs guy or a 110lbs women.

so for those who think it's foolish to take your boat out solo, what do you do when you dont' have someone who's willing or interested in going out with you ? you just sit at the dock ?

actually, I think that the larger the boat the safer it is to solo... you're not going to fall off a 50 footer whereas the odds of falling off a 25CC are higher.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat