Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Progress report on the No Hurry

Well I told you guys about my new project a few weeks ago. I thought I would give you an update. 1972 36C project boat! I got it in the boat yard about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have been working on it a few hours each night and on the weekends.

So far, I have pulled the heat exchangers and took them to the shop to be cleaned. I have pulled all old wiring, A/C and D/C. There is new wiring to the Bilge pumps, Nav lights and Starter/Battery. No other wiring on the boat now.

All of the copper pipes were brittle and greenish. I've pulled all water pipes and Hot water heater out. All of the old 1972 air conditioning systems have been removed, sinks, stove and fridge are gone. Head and all related plumbing is gone.

Last saturday, I pulled all thru hulls, both above and below the water line. There were 29 of them. I'm replacing all of seacocks except the ones for the engines. They had been replaced in the last few years. All of the others were froze up. Most of the above water line thru hulls were plastic. I'm going back all bronze. Hopefully I can get them all back in tomorrow and Sunday. There were no problems with any holes when thru hulls were removed, no fiberglass issues, everything solid as a rock!

I have repacked the prop drive seals, but I couldn't open the rudder seals today, they were very corroded, I drenched them with penetrating oil and will try again tomorrow.

I got the flybridge and tower back on and bolted down this week.

I'm going to replace the hydraulic lines on the steering, the oil pressure gauge line, and fuel lines early next week.

The fuel cleaning guy is supposed to be here monday to clean the tanks and fuel.

If I get the tanks cleaned, the thru hulls back in and my heat exchangers back, I should have it back in the water by the end of next week (and all hoses back in). But that's alot of if's.

I've been very pleased with the quality of the workmanship. I've stripped the boat down almost to the hull and everthing was screwed down tight. No corners were cut anywhere in the construction. The fiberglass tabbing on the bulkheads and walls are in great shape. The doors to the v-birth and head open and close perfectly.

I'll bet you can't find a 34 year old house with better fitting doors and cabinets.

I'm enjoying myself so much! I can't wait to actually have it in the water and drive it.

Thanks for listening.
    Later,
    Benjy

Re: Progress report on the No Hurry

Your description of the scope of work sounds like a major undertaking, but you are using first rate replacement parts/units. I'm a Groco fan, stated many times.

What motive power...orig 454's or?

From the work required, assume purchased at a quite reasonable price?
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 06-08-2007 at 10:33 PM. Reason: typo
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

I believe in using top of the line products, in all of my projects. I always assume that I will keep the item forever (even though I usually sale/trade up). So I try not to consider price when I replace things, I tend to "over do it". Yes, I'm using all groco thru hull parts.

The engines are 6bta5.9 turbo 250 hp. No gen set. I'm looking at new 8 - 11 Kw Westerbeke. I haven't decided how large I need. I probably won't pull the trigger on that until this fall. I had the engines surveyed and they checked out OK, but I don't want to sink big money in the genset if I end up having to do some work on the engines. I want to run the engines this summer and see how they perform.

I feel like I got a good price on the boat. The hull is solid and the engines checked out. It has a nice tower (no controls in the upper tower though), and had new bottom paint (They had the bottom sanded down, when I looked at the first time.)

I already have all new electronics that I bought last summer, so that is taken care of.

I've been paying for my slip since april 1st, ( when I made the offer on the boat). I'm itching to get it in the water and tied up in her permenant home.

Thanks,
    Benjy

Quote Originally Posted by No Hurry View Post
    No gen set. I'm looking at new 8 - 11 Kw Westerbeke. I haven't decided how large I need.
    An 8KW is PERFECT for that boat. The gas ones came with a 6.5kw and the diesels came with a 7.5kw. The 8kw will offer you more power than you can use. Many replace with a 6kw but it may be a bit short on power when running both A/C's, the hot water heater, stove, oven, microwave and a hair dryer going!

Congrats on a great boat and a worthwhile project.

GOOD LUCK!!!

5. Re: Progress report on the No Hurry

8kw is fine on the Genny. I had one on my 45C and never popped it.

I got a Kohler that I liked a lot. Others have their preferences; I'd buy it again (8EOZ). Only problem I had was one bad injector in the motor at about 700 hours - 30 minute fix (getting the part - its a Yanmar engine - took two weeks though)
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Wow Benjy, you certainly have your hands full of work there! But it is always so good to hear what folks think about the Hatteras boats. I think from what we have read and learned about them, we would not consider any other boat for our future purchase. Good luck with the completion of your project. I know you will be celebrating the day you get her in the water! Cheers! Laurie

Benjy, FWIW, my 6kW Northern Lights will run everything on the boat. You probably don't need a lot bigger than that. You might look through Boats&Harbors- there are always a lot of used gensets as takeouts and you might be able to find a bargain, especially if you are not in a hurry.

Mine does not have the hush hood, but if you can find one where the hood will fit in the 36C engine room, I would get it if you could. I couldn't fit it in, even with Slane's guys moving the genset as they have. It would really make a difference in the noise that comes through the boat, though.

You're doing all the right stuff and all the right way. The boat is going to be first class. Cute name, by the way.

8. Re: Progress report on the No Hurry

One thing I really liked about the Kohler was that it was QUIET. It replaced an old Onan and the new Kohler without the hush-box was quieter than the Onan WITH it!

It was barely audible in the master stateroom (just forward of the ER bulkhead), and totally inaudible if the AC fan was on.

There's a lot to like about that.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

We also have a 6KW Northern Lights, and are very happy with it (and and the 330Bs). Does run both ACs and all else fine on 1977 36C. Ours is much quiter than the Onan we had, even without a sound shield. We have a thick area rug over the salon carpet that helps, and also a sofa. You can still hear it in the salon (not too bad), but not really in the forward stateroom. I have been reading threads here and am considering adding some insulation in the ER. Sounds like you are doing a great job. Good luck with your project.

Best Regards, Bob K

It sounds like were in the same boat. I just started a repower on a 36c I been at it 2 months I bought mine (time out) in Georga got to drive it to edgwater Fl. where i pulled it out at a do it yourself yard to repower. the boat was in great old shape except for the power 3208 nat. had 1 bad trans twin disk 506 which i did not no till i pulled the eng. had to remove rear door to get them out. I live 5 hours away so i have been doing 2 day a week 10 hours or till i drop I love this boat it was built by real craftmen the doors the cabnets all top grade work I got complete wire blueprints and owners manual my number is 494 if you need copys of anthying let me know. any how it sure sounds like you are getting a lot done in short time.do you want to come to Florida /kidding

if you need any of the old gagues i have 2 complete sets i am replacing them all also the ignition keys and parell switch and parts keep me posted on your progress and i may have questions on those thru hull i have 2 in the eng compartment that are not used that are brass with a back flow preventor
    my email is villa_marlin@yahoo i like to see some pictures of your boat

good luck steve