Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: This will make your day, Bertram to a Hatteras

I am watching with interest.
    These 2 are at the top of my list for next boat...when I sell my 39.
    Is the 53 a 21 kt cruise boat with original 1271 at 650 or 8V92 power?
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

2. Re: This will make your day, Bertram to a Hatteras

You need 735 hp per side to get the 53 to cruise at 21 knots, the 835 hp 12v71tis will get you 23 knot cruise. The Bertram wins the speed contest with the 12v92s at 1100 hp each will give you 25-27 knots cruise. The Hatteras is 10,000 lbs lighter than the Bertram dry weight. The Bertram that I looked at buying was a 1989 that had a new interior and redesigned galley. The Hatteras has a better layout and more room. Most of the Bertrams are really ugly inside, Spartan is the word that describes them. The fuel burn is considerably more in the Bertram also. If you are an all out fisherman, buy the Bertram. If you want the best all around boat buy the Hatteras. Plus you can get parts from Sam's Marine, information from Hatteras, and you have the gang here to help answer your questions.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Boss lady,
    That is about what I thought for the 53 cruise speed/hp.
    I am browsing the 54 Berts which are 12V71 powered, and don't feel I need to get to 1292s for more speed. I am happy running my 39 at 21-23 cruise and am not in looking for much more than that.
    I love the lines of the 53, no doubt. Also, the available support and parts speak for themselves!
    I also like the lines of the 54. I think the FB layout is better for me as well. Not crazy about coming in to ER on top of stbd shaft and trans, but the ER is reasonable beyond that, I think (although I have never worked in one).
    I am looking forward to getting more serious when mine sells, unless I found someone interested in a trade.....unlikely.
    Still reading/listening.
    Paul

Some Bertrams had the gensets under the cockpit sole, which turns out to be a bad place for them- they rust out rapidly. You would probably be better off with one that is big enough to have the genset in the ER. Now, where that occurs in their size range, I don't know.

I have 2 gensets, a 9 and a 14. The 9 is in the ER forward of the port engine. The 14 is under the fighting chair. When I bought the boat my mechanic and I figured the smaller unit was to use while on the hook overnight. We were suprised when we cranked it up and turned on all the electronics, livewell pump, bait freezer, 4 ac units, frig and lights and it powered them all. The only thing we didn't turn on was the cooktop. I'm sure I had it close to maxed out but found it interesting that it did run everything. I usually run the bigger genset out of habit. I have never run either genset during an overnight but I think I would run the one in the cockpit rather than the one in the ER, not because of sound, it's really very quiet, but from a safety concern, which I'm sure really isn't an issue, just a perception I have. I wonder if running the larger genset at a half load has any long term negative effects.

Nor'easter,
    My 54' has 12V71's, running either 800, 850 or 900 hp, depending who you ask. The mechanic the broker got me in Florida told me they were 850hp because of the size blowers he was replacing on them. My mechanic here in New Orleans tells me they are either 800 or 900 hp. All I know is I cruise at 21knots, WOT is 29 knots and fuel burn is 62 gph at cruise. I found it interesting that when I looked at specs on the 1100hp Bertrams a couple of years newer than mine, they listed their cruise and WOT the same or within a knot or 2 of mine. Maybe they cruise at a lower rpm ( I cruise at 1900)

Thanks for the info on cruise and hp for the 54. That is about what I have heard. I have only looked at a couple of 54s, and both were 1987 or newer. I remember that both had 2 gens in the ER. I have since heard that bert changed the location of the gens to both in the ER around 85-86.
    I can see why you are drawn to the 53...especially an example like her. I am glad that I don't have to make a decision today, because I think it will ultimately be a difficult one. Both are true classics, and boats that helped to build or solidify the reputation of each Co.
    I am curious to know what outsode of the lines and finish of the 53 Hatt would push you to make a lateral move like this. If it is (just) that, I think I could understand...but wanted to know if there was something else the 53 has that you don't get in the 54.
    I would love to et your perspective offline some time.
    Best,
    Paul