Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    38BAT Guest

58 Yachtfish "Mako"

Anybody know anything about this boat? Located San Diego, here is the YW link... Obviously a project, but I am considering. Thanks! JOE

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=20704&url

Re: 58 Yachtfish "Mako"

It really torques me when they do not put the hours in there!
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

38BAT Guest

Just got a copy of a recent survey. Hours listed as 2000 on survey although not deemed reliable. Oil samples also taken. Biggest concern for me was "The house top , which is the main cabin cover, the flybridge deck and aft deck covering shows evidence of an excessive amount of long term water saturation to core materials. Shape of the flybridge deck has changed from a designed camber with sides lower than the center, is now dished in the center. There are fluids draining from the structure, staining the house sides. There is flexing to the deck and sounds when walked on that indicate damage to core materials. It is apparent significant repairs are needed." So, that repair is a bit out of my realm. The rest of the survey appears okay, definately some work needed but the rest I could do myself mostly. Any ideas on cost to repair/replace the bridge floor/house top? Thanks in advance! JOE

Don't know the boat, but will be on our boat in San Diego this weekend. If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you.

so that explains the low price... when i dont' see hours, i usually considers it a red flag.

if the core is bad to point of the floor "dishing" in... that's bad ! a little soft, ok but "dished in the center" ??

if the bad core extends under teh flybridge structure, it will have to come off to go the repair correcly... not cheap... depends who does the work... at the typical near $100/hr yard rate... yikes !
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have seen that listing too. If you were willing to get into a job like that, I am sure that you would need to prepare for things that come up that didn't show in the survey.
    That begs the question, who payed for the survey you have access to? Was it the current owner for insurance or for thier info? Even though it is great that this is being shared w/ you before you see the boat, it still could be a big-time under-representation of the condition of the boat and its needs.
    I am in SD, and would check it out for you as well. Let me know if I can help.
    Paul
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

the mid-70s 58YF seem to command 250-350K. At $150 you have some fix up money. THe Problem is you can just buy one with good core or take the chance you can get it fixed for less than 100K. Its another case of let the new buyer take the risk and not giving up enough money for it to be worth while. If all the decks are wet thats a heck of a big job.
    Good luck.
    BTW I have over 100 hours fixing a port bow deck core on my 42 LRC so far. About 2/3 finished. I would guess 35 sq ft.
    David Stahl
    Skooch
    Worton Creek MD
    42 LRC 401

38BAT Guest

Thanks for all of the responses! Great questions... as for who paid for the survey, I am not sure. It was not for the owner and was definately not an insurance survery. The boat was sea trialed, hauled and inspected as well as having an engine survey and oil samples. It appears that it was ordered by a buyer who didn't buy(probably because of the survey). Most of the other issues were smaller and easy for me to deal with. I have been looking for a yachtfish and it does appear that a nice stabilized version commands 300-350 ish. My thought was that if I could get something like this really cheap I would likely end up close to the same price but would have exactly what I want. Maybe this one is too far gone. I would appreciate any additional feedback and should be talking to the broker tomorrow. JOE

I would offer 100k to see how bad they want to sell it. It is a buyers market!
    If they allowed the top to get that bad you can be sure there is much more deferred maintanence......
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

the research I have been doing on the 58 YF's indicate that a properly restored (mechincal, electrical and cosmetics) YF will cost $300,000 plus, not including boat purchase price.

Although the YF is my favorate boat, that kind of money is hard to justify if you ever plan on selling her in the future. But if you plan to keep her, well it's a mute point. Something to ponder.

Save your money, put a real good down payment and get what you want with half the head ache.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney