Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Feeling overloaded?

Happened to our dockmate after 1 day of ownership. Needless to say he has been asked to leave.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

Re: Feeling overloaded?

"Honey, how many times do I have to tell you, when all the air conditioners are running, and there's a pizza in the oven, with the washer and dryer are both going, DON'T TURN ON YOUR HAIR DRYER!"

That's a 50 and a 30, no?
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

Yes that WAS a 30 & 50 for an 80'+ yacht
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

4. Re: Feeling overloaded?

Lets see. a 30 and a 50 outlet. FOR WHAT SIZE BOAT !!

Oh, add the amps and your get the size of the boat....

Guess it's that new math stuff...
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Am I missing something? Mine always looked like that, until I just sprayed them black with Rustoleum, so it wouldn't show....LOL

I would think they would want them to stay and get them 2 x 50 amp services at a nice cost per KW.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Sorry, but I don't get the issue. Would not the shoreside breakers in the "doghouse" trip, if they were overloaded. I have tried every which way and a 30amp power cable cannot be used for or adapted with adapters for use in a 50amp application. Only a Reverse Y adapter will marry-up two 30's and even then you need both legs of the 110v, i.e. you usually need to "steal" your adjacent dockmates 30amp outlet to get the other leg and they then use yours.

So why did the cables fry? You can snicker, if I am slow on this...
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 06-04-2007 at 08:35 PM. Reason: typo
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

The run to the house connection had to be 50'. I think he just had the cords overloaded, they looked cheap and small. That is a lot of boat to run on 80A. Like egato said, he must have been running a massive load.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

The electric cable on my boat looked just like that. Except it was in the run from the inlet to the panel! When I realized that the shore cord was welded into the inlet, I called an electrician. $14,000. and a new panel later, all is well and up to date. BTW, the estimate for the job was $3500 to $5000. The project ran a little over with all of the "while your in there's".

That happens when there is a BAD connection right there. Not an overload. A 30 amp cable will handle more than 30 amps easy. The breaker will trip at 32 amps. BUT a bad connection will just get hotter and hotter and hotter until you get what you see. You guys must check your shore connections inside and out. I had the same thing happen last year. But only on the inside where the house wires connect to the boat plug. I had checked the screws on the inside of the plugs just weeks before the fire. On the day it happened it was 9:00 in the morning. The only thing running was the frig, ice maker and the coffee pot. So it was not over loaded. I was going to start breakfast when the power went off. I went to the shore plug to check the breaker to find it was OK. I then went back aboard to try to figure out what happened to my power. As I entered the salon I smelled smoke, not good. But from where was it coming. Unknowing at the time it was wicking down through the inner hull. The next thing I thought was to check inside the panel. I was warned about this by someone else. Nothing there. It could not be the plug I had just checked it 2 weeks before. I went to the storage locker on the back deck where the power entered the boat. When I opened it. I was met by a big cloud of smoke. Scary. I had the admiral just moments before turn off the dock breakers. The fire had smothered its self. I suspect because of the small area. Two of the wires were completely burnt off. Luckily I had instructed everyone in the family to not store anything against these plugs. I found out later that the previous owner did not check the screws and they were burnt already when I checked them. They would not turn because they were already welded and I thought they were tight because I could not turn them. I was real lucky. Two years ago a boat in Port Clinton O. burnt to the water from the same thing. So check your plugs inside and out. Be safe. If I were to guess, I would blame it on the dock pedestal. Not the plug. The stabs don't become loose. The stab sockets spread making for a loose connection. You can only draw what the breakers will let you. You can't draw 50 amps through a 30 amp breaker.

BILL