Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New letters

Re: New letters

Nothing a good pressure washer and an airless wouldn't take care of..
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

LuckyDave, You win the cleanest engine room contest hands down. In the world of Hatteras engine rooms, you are the man.

Now, let's head out to the track sometime and you can chase the tail of my 951 with your 951 as long as you can keep me in sight!

Quote Originally Posted by thoward View Post
    Nothing a good pressure washer and an airless wouldn't take care of..

After the scrubbers !! At least its dis-infected ! I wont waste the paint till they are on the ground. Caterpillar yellow with chrome valve covers just to confuse everybody, and to keep it in the "family". ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 06-24-2007 at 09:34 PM.

Looks funny w/o intercoolers and turbos :P
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

"Now, let's head out to the track sometime and you can chase the tail of my 951 with your 951 as long as you can keep me in sight!"

You got it. Is there any money at stake?

BTW I have the points lead in in KSS at the moment - and 20 years pro racing under my belt..........
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Luckydave, I never race for money-- just for fun! I've been PCA Racing for 10yrs and SCCA for nearly 20yrs. I have never had less than a podium finish and never a DNF. I was the Super Production/GT-1 Champion for the GBR Series. I assume your record is stellar as well.

Once we agree that we both can drive, we must look at the cars. I am lucky enough to have a pro-built 2.6L engine making 507hp on low boost and 548hp at "qualifying" setting. It weighs about 2425lbs, full widebody with 11" and 12" slicks. 370hp simply won't keep up.

Let's suffice it to say that with all due respect your Hatt is faster than mine, but my Porsche is faster than yours. Fair 'nuff?

Tod, sorry to temporarily steal your thread with the racecar chat with Luckydave. I just found out there's a fellow 944 Turbo racer in the HOF!

Back to your "New Letters". As you may or may not know my boat will be coming out of the paint booth soon and I will need to have the name re-done. I had black letters with gold accents, all vinyl. The yard suggested "engine turned" gold over black. It is much more expensive than the all-vinyl but if it looks that good I'll have to do that. Is that what you went with? It sure looks good in the pic.

"Once we agree that we both can drive, we must look at the cars. I am lucky enough to have a pro-built 2.6L engine making 507hp on low boost and 548hp at "qualifying" setting. It weighs about 2425lbs, full widebody with 11" and 12" slicks. 370hp simply won't keep up."

You're certainly racing in a higher class than I am. The car I'm driving is (almost) showroom stock.
    Most of my (bike) racing years were spent racing various Gp classes and AMA Superbike class. And I always got well paid, or I didn't ride. Once you cross over to riding as a pro, you can't go back.
    Now days I ride an Aprilia Tuono in the mountains for fun, and the other bikes (I have 7) whenever.
    The Porsche club racing (even though I have a fully sponsored ride) is something I do with my brother in law for the fun of it.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

I can imagine that getting paid for racing would indeed be addictive. More power to you! All I have ever done is race for fun. The class I run in Porsche Club is GT-3 which all 944 Turbo's run if they have any real modifications from stock. "E" class is where bone stock 944 Turbo S cars run and "D" class if they have just ONE mod like a chip or upgraded brakes. You can't get a 370hp 944 turbo from any one mod, so in PCA I believe you would be running in GT-3 as well. I'm sure you know, GT-3 is unlimited mods (Porsche chassis and block) good up until 2622cc. My motor was custom built to 2608cc to stay in GT-3. The (stroker) 2.8L guys have to run GT-1. My car is very competitive in GT-3 and often competitive with the GT-1 guys. It's those pesky 1900lb turbocharged 911's always seem to give me a wake-up call! Cup cars too, they're QUICK with a good driver.

Be careful on those bikes Dave! I know you can ride but many of the folks out on the roads can't DRIVE!

Just curious....for those of us who don't drive/race Porsches, how fast are these cars? Like: top speed, lap times, acceleration? What else would race in GT-3? Are these Porsche-only races or do other makes compete as well?