Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NJ inlets

NJ inlets

Thursday AM I am bringing my boat south to Va from Mattituck, NY. Depending on weather I think I can go further south than Sandy Hook but it will be pushing it to get to Atlantic City. What are the safest inlets between Sandy Hook and Atlantic City? Also which inlet, once in, has the easiest access to Marinas. Any tips such as cheap fuel and nav info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: NJ inlets

The best inlet in that area would be Manasquan. Well marked and straight forward. Plenty of marinas and anchorage.

The true all weather inlets would be cape may, absecon (a.c.), than manasquan, shark river, than around the hook. All the inlets have marinas with transient slips. All relatively expensive. There are anchorages at all of the above. In my 43 dc (12 kts) I can run from little egg to O.C Md. in an easy day. Second day to norfolk, a little longer run. Always remember east is least in jersey, west is best. If you have a problem i'm in Little Egg I can be reached on the radio chanel 9 or 16 Tunaseazure (the dive boat) is what I answer to if i'm on the boat or you can reach me on my cell 610.639.9122 Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

How fast is your boat? Are you comfortable running it outside? We run Block to Cape May every year (203NM), or you can do Block to Manasquan (130NM). Manasquan has a nice marina at the route 70 bridge ,I think its called Crystal Point,or you can go thru the canal and anchor in the Metedekonke(sp?) . What you save staying out of the marina will more than pay for your fuel . The canal can be "interesting "if the tide's ripping and there's alot of boat traffic,be careful ,slack tide is nice. ..........Pat

Manasquan can be a little tricky if the wind is coming from the east and the current is going out. Hoffman's marina now has condos, so I'm not sure what the state of transient slips is. The next marina is the Brielle Yacht Club which may or may not have transient slips. After that, you'd have to go through the opening for the NJ Transit train bridge (approximately 50' wide) and then the Route 35 Bridge which is under construction. When I brought my boat up from there in late April, they could only get half of the draw open, so it can be tight if you need the clearance. STAY ONLY IN WELL MARKED CHANNELS!!!!! Don't waste you time going through the Point Pleasant Canal. The water is way too thin on the south side for any draft over 4 feet (in the channel). I was kicking up mud the whole way between two fixed channel markers. Unfortunately, Manasquan is still better than Shark River or Barnegat Inlets. Sandy Hook has Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina right in it and it usually has the least expensive fuel in the area.

We're located in Monmouth Beach and are partial to Sandy Hook Bay as it's probably the easiest entrance to inland water on the entire Jersey Coast. Of course, it's not connected to the intracoastal waterway, but the shallowness in some parts of the intracoastal are no help anyway.

Have a smooth trip.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

Thank you all for responding. The boat will comfortably cruise at 22 knots, I could push it to 2100 and cruise at 24 knots but would rather not. Depending on the weather I may not go the C&D canal route and stay outside down to the mouth of the bay. Is the Ocean City inlet easy? Thanks again for the info.

I've been in O.C. three times. You'll need to look at in when you go in it's short (good news) but can have a fetch running towards the rocks as you come in. I would rate it safe, but rememeber I'm from Jersey. Dockage both straight in from the inlet and also off to the right. If the markers are not in do not wander into the middle of the harbor it's very shallow. Best fuel has been at the at the end of where the commercial boats are. On a bad day I just layyed on the stern of a commercial guy and he made it very easy for me. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

With that kind of speed I'd run it from Block to Cape May . It's 9-10 hours and will save you a bunch of hassle vs.running down the LI sound ,thru the city etc. Offshore -no worries ,down the sound- navigation and traffic. Of course the city is really something from the water . If you've never done it by all means do it!! Have a great trip........Pat

RE: below - We just came up the other way. We stayed at Hoffman's in Manasquan and you can stay at a slip or the fuel dock overnight there if you call ahead and reserve it. I thought Manasquan was a nice, easy, well marked inlet. We went in and out with substantial tidal current, but not a problem to handle. Do follow the reds and greens and stay in the channel, but no problems.

We also stayed at Atlantic City ($2.50 for the fuel dock at Kammermans or $4.00/ft. for Trump Marina (Farley State Marina).

Sandy Hook anchorage at Horseshoe Cove is fine, but constant ferry wakes during daylight hours make it bouncy. Better to anchor just inside the breakwater at Atlantic Highlands. Atlantic Highlands had diesel for $2.59 last week.

Utch's Marina at Cape May was good.

Doug Shuman

Quote Originally Posted by MicroKap View Post
    Manasquan can be a little tricky if the wind is coming from the east and the current is going out. Hoffman's marina now has condos, so I'm not sure what the state of transient slips is. The next marina is the Brielle Yacht Club which may or may not have transient slips. After that, you'd have to go through the opening for the NJ Transit train bridge (approximately 50' wide) and then the Route 35 Bridge which is under construction. When I brought my boat up from there in late April, they could only get half of the draw open, so it can be tight if you need the clearance. STAY ONLY IN WELL MARKED CHANNELS!!!!! Don't waste you time going through the Point Pleasant Canal. The water is way too thin on the south side for any draft over 4 feet (in the channel). I was kicking up mud the whole way between two fixed channel markers. Unfortunately, Manasquan is still better than Shark River or Barnegat Inlets. Sandy Hook has Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina right in it and it usually has the least expensive fuel in the area.

We're located in Monmouth Beach and are partial to Sandy Hook Bay as it's probably the easiest entrance to inland water on the entire Jersey Coast. Of course, it's not connected to the intracoastal waterway, but the shallowness in some parts of the intracoastal are no help anyway.

Have a smooth trip.