Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: yanmar

hat45 Guest

yanmar

does any one have any experience with the yanmar marine engines 700hp or any other yanmar products. how do they hold up? how is the factory support? do any boat builders use them?

Genesis Guest

The Yanmar 700s...

... are actually Scania motors.

My understanding is that they are too new to know how they're going to work out. Nice design from what I've seen (individual cylinder heads, so you can pull ONE singlehanded, etc) but whether they will be reliable remains to be seen.

I bet some negotiating on a repower project would land a very nice price right now, as they're working to get them a reputation in the marketplace....

hat45 Guest

yanmar

i have talked to yanmar and they are indicating that they are very interested and would monitor the install very closely. my main concern would at resale of the boat maybe 6 or 8 years from now.
    who is scania motors and where are they made. what is their back ground?

BEC53 Guest

Scania...

...motors are used in alot of construction equipment made in Europe. I have owned a few in some quarry trucks. I believe that the company is in Denmark. Anyway, thier diesels seem to have good life, clean and quiet. Just hold on to your wallet when you need parts.

hat45 Guest

yanmar

are parts hard to get in the USA. i wonder how much a injector or piston would cost compared to Detroit.the first five years should be covered by a extended warranty.

Genesis Guest

ALL.....

... foreign engines have outrageously high parts prices.

ALL.

Anything from Europe is especially bad. If you're used to the $600 type prices for cylinder kits on Detroits, you may well have a coronary when you find out how much they are for foreign-built motors....

capthook505 Guest

scania

Scania motors were originally made by SAAB from Sweden. I'm not sure if they still are as GM owns SAAB.I have no experience with the scanias but I will tell you I owned two SAABs and they ran great until they self destructed. I would think the parts are as comparable with Volvo.

hat45 Guest

yanmar

I looked at the scania web site and the have been making engines for 100 years or so. looks like a good company and product but their site does not say anything about its relationship with yanmar.

Matt21401 Guest
    I know these are not the same motors being discussed, but is anyone familiar with the 53 ED on yachtnet.com with yanmars?

BEC53 Guest

53ED

I e-mailed that guy about his yanmars--how he got them in there, etc, a few months ago and got no response.