Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Is it to early to talk about the Columbus Day Regatta?

Maybe with early enough planning we can make it the mother of all Hatteras rendezvous. Maybe Sams can give us some Banners to fly or the factory can give a big flag to two.

How about some fun events like dingy racing or pot luck dinners.

Just a thought...
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Re: Is it to early to talk about the Columbus Day Regatta?

You KNOW I'm in (as is Sanctuary)! I suspect Ed has a standing hall pass for that weekend, too.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I've put this event on the HOF Calendar now that the software upgrade has the calendar working again! Be there!
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Smile Re: Is it to early to talk about the Columbus Day Regatta?

What sort of plans or event is the group considering? With our 42 Hatteras we have attended Columbus Day for a number or years although not last year as it became a bit much with the younger, loud, drunk, outboard motor fast boat croud. In the past we have attended with another Hatteras and friends with boats other than Hatteras. There are 4 to 6 boats in our group. Look forward to knowing more of what this group has in mind.

there is a little bit of everything at CDR... yes you got the loud young outboard crowd but larger boats too. i'v eonly been going for 3 years but i understand it's actually "cleaner" than it used to be in the past.

last year we all anchored out in the same area within swinging distance of each other and had a good time. cruinsing in the dinghy and getting into watergun battles seems to be the big thing...

we usually dont' anchor right in the middle of the pack but between the main group and the shore.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

6. Re: Is it to early to talk about the Columbus Day Regatta?

Isn't that the same place Court TV did a show on a few months ago???

Usually they show San Diago or someplace but they did have one from Miami. It did show a lot of drunks and a few fights taking place.

OH,wait.... The females did have on S M A L L bikinis...

Might have to rethink this... So when is Columbus day anyway...
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

The one in Fl was at Holiday Isle in the keys. the sand bar next to the world famous "Tiki Bar". Mostly collage age people getting crazy. Once was enough for me.

The CDR has a mixed bag of people mostly just having a good time. It has cleaned up quite a bit but every little while or so you catch a topless (or bottomless) Beauty having some fun in the sun. Sadly it is offset by a topless or bottomless, overweight old fart cruising around in a dingy. lots of laughs and countless water gun fights. the out skirts are the best place to be IMO. It is much more relaxing and if you want some fun action you can dingy into the masses for a little while then return to the mother ship. we had a few HOF boats there last year Carl Guzman brought his big boat with his family including his kids and friends, Angela/Ed and Pascal's boats were there too and a few others that I can't remember now. all within water gun distance or a dingy ride. Lots of police and lots of Coast Guard to keep things safe. lots of leeway is given. they pretty much leave you alone unless you are doing something REALLY stupid.

As for plans, nothing formal but maybe an afternoon of dingy racing, watergun fights, awards for the best frozen drinks, pot lucks?

Any other ideas guys/gals?

12 year veteran of the CDR
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

nothing wrong with topless... a common sight on my HattCam :-)

seriously, every law enforcement boat in a 100 mile radius is at eliott key... USCG, State, local towns... they do a great job keeping the fun clean without being heavy handed as long as you dont' do stupid things...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I've been wanting to attend for years and would love to bum a ride on someone's boat. But since I don't live in Florida I have to save my vacation each year for Fantasy Fest in Key West. Oh Well ;-)
    Larry
    Hatt Trick
    1966 34DC70