Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Bittersweet Day

It's been said that the two happiest days for a boater is the day he buys and the day he sells his boat.

I accepted a very fair offer on Passages today - so how come I'm not happy? I'm actually bummed.

I'm selling for the right reasons and at the right price. Somehow the boat - which I've only owned for 4 years - has become more than an assemblage of fiberglass, engines and electronics. It's more of an extention of myself and the family. I've enjoyed the adventures it provided and learning how to rebuild and maintain the various systems.

Well, maybe I'll be lucky and it will fail survey...

...nawww.
    Last edited by Passages; 05-25-2007 at 03:08 PM.

2. Re: A Bitterweet Day

I have now owned 11 boats and have sold 10. That saying about the two happiest days is so wrong.

Every boat I have sold caused me sorrow and on several occasions in tears when i watched the boat leave with the new owners.....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: A Bitterweet Day

I don't belive that saying can apply to us old Hatt owners. Our boats are our senior family members. We ache and pain along with them, some more than others. And like the proud grandfathers that our boats are, they are always ready, willing and able.

I feel for ya Passages...

PS. moving up?
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Quote Originally Posted by MarioG
    PS. moving up?
    I suspect that will be the only cure for this funk I'm in.

Anyone know where I can pick up a good used boat? - I'll haVE CASH.

Only half joking - I'll be looking for a vintage Hatt, Viking or Post. 46-53'. Before I start getting bombed with PM's, let's wait until the deal goes through on Passages. I'll update this thread as things develop
    Last edited by Passages; 06-08-2007 at 09:34 AM.

Call the Bird he can lend you a spare Hatt if you need for a while.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Wow, I didn’t know you were selling. Now I’m bummed.

Anyway, congrats on the sale. I hope the deal goes through and good luck in your search for your next labor of love.
    Trav
    45C 447, Series I, '72
    Pensacola, Fl

There is the bonding phase and then the separation phase and lots of good times in between!

Good luck with the search! I got you a slip at Brewer's Sterling harbor for the July get together. I guess you could park your car there and join us!!

Boscola Yachts sales has some Posts that have been for sale for a while, maybe they really want to sell now.

Nick

I got around this by not selling mine. I'm going to let my estate worry about that one....with any luck.

Re: A Bittersweet Day

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Good luck with the search! I got you a slip at Brewer's Sterling harbor for the July get together. I guess you could park your car there and join us!!

Boscola Yachts sales has some Posts that have been for sale for a while, maybe they really want to sell now.

Nick
    Nick, If the deal does not go through - I still plan on making the trip to Greenport. In the meantime, I'd hold off putting down a deposit for the slip.

Survey & seatrial are scheduled for June 7. That give me one more weekend. I have a half tank of fuel, maybe a last trip to Block Island is in order...

I used to own a 1981 42 Post. It was a great boat, well built, well thought out by the designer as to installation of systems and accessability. Mine had the 450's and was quite swift at cruise speed. I would own another Post Yacht.

Prices are down on much of the available inventory. It's a great time to be a buyer. I wish you well on your sale, and have fun in the search for the new one. I love shopping for boats!