Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

70C and 16V2000 HELP!

Just found this site and it sounds like there are some very knowledgeable people on here. I have looked through this site and boatdiesel, but I havent been able to find much info on the 16V's. I need some help on pro's and cons of a 2000 70C with 16V2000's. I am new to the larger boat world and it just seems like there are so many choices out there. Anything I should be on the lookout for?? Do these motors have a good track record?? Like others on this site I am also on the Westcoast and most of my fishing will be long range stuff into Mexico. Some day stuff, but mostly using the boat for a couple weeks at a time. Any idea of the lifespan of these motors if not throttled hard and well taken care of? What about there maint. schedule? Any insight on the motors, hull, ride, or resale value of this boat would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, great site!
    Last edited by 1crazy1; 05-23-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Re: 70C and 16V2000 HELP!

Congrats on your new boat. That is an awesome model. Unfortunately, I don't know much about those engines.

I have much smaller Detroit's. While I use Valley Detroit Diesel for my parts (their parts guys have always been good to me) I don't use their service. I've heard good and bad about them.

Hope someone with specific knowledge about those engines can help....

But again congrats!

Thanks Hattitude! I havent pulled the trigger yet, but I am very close. I am just attempting to get a little more info on the 16V's and that year and model. Where do you keep and use yours? How do you like it?

I'm out of Mission Bay in San Diego. I dive, cruise channel islands and mostly do one to two day tuna trips into Mexican waters.

You won't find a better boat than a Hatt. The more I work on mine, the more I am amazed at and appreciate their engineering and design.

Good luck with the purchase...............

See ya on the water

5. Re: 70C and 16V2000 HELP!

There have been some issues with the MTU engines, and if I recall correctly there a two versions of this engine, american and german. I personally cannot comment to these but my diesel mechanic buddy told me to look out for turbo water leaks. At the Lauderdale boat show there was an unhappy owner that had taken out a bill board, and hired a flying banner that circled the show all weekend saying that MTU sucks. So I would definetly do my homework on these engines since you are talking a considerable amount of boat bucks if you have a problem. I also have no point of reference to the longevity to expect from these modern engines. Electronic problems have been the major problem with all the new iron. Don't want to rain on your parade but become informed so there are no $100,000 dollar surprises. Good luck.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Thanks Chris! Yeah I am trying to find out as much about them as possible, but it seems like people either dont want to say how crappy they are or there just isnt that many people that know about them??? Is one of the models better then the other or have both seen the same problems?

Have you looked on the boatdiesel forum? (www.boatdiesel.com)

Really have not heard about any major problems with them. The DDEC system on them is the best out there and well proven. I know of a couple around here with thousands of trouble free hours. The downside is that parts are $$$$, and there routine maintenance is in depth and expensive as well. The schedules services are important and needed for long life, so figure the cost into the equation.
    You might ask the question on the Yacht Forums site. There are a lot of megayacht guys there that have MTU engines. Dave

I've been shopping for a client who wants a late 1990's 65 C and like the 70 C’s, most were delivered with the 16v92's. The 2000's are a little better (efficient) than the 92's. But you are still dealing with a very high maintenance engine. The DDEC system is very good in my opinion. I cut my teeth driving big boats with DDEC 1.0 and like the newer versions. Surprisingly, the fuel consumption is pretty good.

RPM GPH
    1600 30
    1800 40
    1900 45
    2000 50
    2100 60
    (Each Engine)

These numbers are not that far from what the 12v92's with DDEC will produce on a 70-75 MY plus you are getting more horses and much faster speeds due to the lighter hull of the SF.

You had better plan on a major overhaul at 2,500 hours... 3,000 max and then minor overhauls every 1,500 hours. I would contact your local dealer to get a quote on a major before purchasing. Most boats that I have seen on the market are in need of a major or are very close. Doing a major, or any maintenance, on these engines is a major PIA due to the size of the engine and the lack of space in the ER on the SF models.

For my client, I am searching hard for one with 12v92's or 3412's. Speed is not a high priority for him. Other Captains I have talked with who run the 16's all agree that you will spend more money and time keeping them going. This is primarily due to the fact that the "law of large numbers" is not in you favor. You are dealing with 32 cylinders not 24. If one cylinder has a problem the amount of time just identifying the bad cylinder is vastly increased. Think of it as maintaining 3 12v92's. $$$$$ and TIME… and if you are going to charter… lost time is lost $$$$

10. Re: 70C and 16V2000 HELP!

The big CAT engines have the worst reputation. The MTUs seem to be better, and they should be since Detriot has a 40 year headstart on the competition when it comes to hot rodded marine engines. However, all the newer iron has warts, so you need to become familiar with the warts on these engines. First thing is find out what the MTBF is that Detriot claims for this model, and then solicit input on some of the forums to see what real owners are experiencing and how much they have had to pay once the warranty ran out. I would also get some quotes for what it really costs to major these and find out what kind of nightmare it is going to be if the engines have to come out of the boat. I would venture to say that you are easily in the $250,000 range to do a proper rebuild on these. A repair job may be considerably less. I have a rather strong opinion about the difference between a rebuild and a repair. It is on previous posts so I won't rehash it here. You should also look at who is willing to actually do the work on these size engines. You are in mega yacht class, along with mega yacht class prices to do the work, believe me these guys will see "you" coming from a long ways away. There is no way to beg poverty when they are standing on your "70". If you have deep pockets then what I am telling you will have no bearing. If you can't afford a quarter million dollar repair bill, then I would start considering other boats, or at least find one that has very low hours and will give some service before having to pay the piper. Just remember that most boats have tons of deferred maintenance, since very few people do preventive maintenance, and engines tend to get neglected the most.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com