Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dock water hose

1. Dock water hose

I bought a hose box and hose from Ace 2 yrs ago and I am going to replace the damn hose as I spend more time (least it feels so at times) unkinking it as I do washing the boat.

It had a "life time" guarentee on it but when I took it in a few months ago as it started leaking where one of the kinks weakened it, they demanded my sales slip (uh, it says ACE on the hose !!!) so would not replace it....

Does anyone have a hose that isn't a royal PITA?

Need one soon as at the moment The Admiral gets to wash the boat while I sit in a chair on the dock drinking a beer and pointing out any spot she misses.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: Dock water hose

I have the fewest headaches and frustrations with the 'go-flat' type of water hose which returns to a flat profile absent water pressure. I have fewer kinks, they take less storage space and evacuate the water faster after use. Just a lot less hassle in my mind.

They cost a little more, about $30 for a 50' but they have good quality brass fittings and they seems to stay pretty clean. I also like the white color.

Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

I was considering one or two of those also... Are they kinda kink proof like a fire hose? ws

I don't care for the flat hose because you must unroll the entire hose in order to use it. I use the white non contaminating RV hose on the boat, for drinking water and boating on the go, 200ft. in 25 foot lengths. I use a good 5/8 ID. 150 FT. plastic hose for washing the boat and everything else at the dock. It stays at the dock on a hose rack..

BILL

I too do not like the flat hose except as something to travel with.

We got a premium 'marine' hose via special order from a local supplier a few years ago... don't know the brand name... but it was advertised as the most kink resistant hose made. And it is! And it was shockingly expensive, so we keep it coiled and in the deck box to preserve it.

Bob

Other than a flat hose which I have never used there ain't no none-kink hose anywhere.

Be careful with linking 25' sections the metal coupling can scratgch gel surfaces.

Depending on where you boat a 1/2" hose can render all that the dock system can deliver. But where we are now at Dataw (soon to be relocating to N. Myrtle Beach for 4 months) they got the pressure cranked up to around 65-70 lbs! I find that with the nozzel off my 5/8" hose I can really blast the entire boat down in a matter of minutes.

BTW, some hoses, depending on the outer coating, you can coil in your washing machine and soak in bleach and get all the crap off and make 'em look like new again (and depending on the washer system, you can let it cycle through withut stressing the hose [Whirlpool]).

Watch out Charlie, the boat aint all the Admiral's gonna wash!
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

i have a couple of regular hardware store grade hose and they work fine... one is tied over to the stbd midship piling so that i can connect it to the inlet if i need to and since i put a Y on the inlet it can also feed the coiling hose i use for the foredeck with more pressure. the other one is hangin off a stern piling next tot he tank filler. they don't kink... maybe it's because i coil back on the piling while still pressurized.

never gave much thought about these hoses !
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Not to hijack the thread but this got me to thinking. While the laws of gravity are certainly one constant in the universe (or at least around here), the other constant is as follows: it is a certainty that when dragging a water hose on a dock to get it where you want it, it will ALWAYS find a cleat to tangle around.

I equate pulling any lengthy material to climbing Mount Everest... Your party is in imminent danger of falling to their deaths into an icy crevasse and all you need to do is snag a line on a rock to save the whole party. Never can do it, but try to sling a hose to the other side of the boat and you'll hafta climb up and down a dozen times to get it there. The best is pulling a long extension cord around and end up with a clove hitch around the dock piling etc. I am glad its not just me.... ws

It's not just you. The odds of fouling around a cleat are directly proportional to the amount of stairs/steps you need to climb if it gets fouled.