Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Enough to make a grown man cry!

I spent years repairing boats and will spend many hundreds on mine as a labor of love. many of us can do more than others but the fiscal equation is always the same when you figure the value of your time.

Years ago I could have kept a crew busy with a spec project boat instead of shutting down for the NY winter. Today everyone uses subs and temp labor except the few top yards who have a project or two every winter already. The value of the boats is not commensurate with their cost to repair or restore except in few instances.

I was watching the Barrett Jackson auctions and saw most cars sold at well below the restoration cost. that didn't include the original cost of the vehicle. We have classics and we do to them what we do out of love not for profit.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by thoward
    Willie, you are not average Joe for sure

Thats the nicest thing anyone's said about me in a long time ws

Hey, I was talking about your seaman eeerrr oooh ummmm ship nevermind . So, how is that sub thingy coming along?
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

Being 40 miles from home is great !! The SN HATTFISHTRICK loves the attention ! I can now buzz down to the boat and spend 3-4 days aboard getting stuff done. Nothing remotely cosmetic yet, but thats for when the snow flies.
    One more 50 mile jaunt for the lift out and then we "pop" the rumblin' trans out--' just a mere bag of shells'. We'll do an alignment check while shes wet. Been in since last August, so even after a year of pizpoor blocking, the shape should have returned by now.
    The project this week is to lower the arch for a fixed bridge. The bridge is 19'3" and the arch is , you guessed it, 19-3 ! The top of the radar array is
    20'6" and dodger is 16-6, so off comes the bimini also.
    I may need to cut a GPS antenna wire, as the installer ran it tight Any input on this? The radar has an extra 20" of wire coiled up in the FB so the
    40 pair cable is good; WHEW !! Just need 3-4 big bruisers to lay it down. I figure about 300lbs max. Any thoughts on this?? ws

Quote Originally Posted by thoward
    Hey, I was talking about your seaman eeerrr oooh ummmm ship nevermind . So, how is that sub thingy coming along?
    Whats long, hard, white, and full of seamen?? A 64' HATTERAS !! LOL ws

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill
    Being 40 miles from home is great !! The SN HATTFISHTRICK loves the attention ! I can now buzz down to the boat and spend 3-4 days aboard getting stuff done. Nothing remotely cosmetic yet, but thats for when the snow flies.
    One more 50 mile jaunt for the lift out and then we "pop" the rumblin' trans out--' just a mere bag of shells'. We'll do an alignment check while shes wet. Been in since last August, so even after a year of pizpoor blocking, the shape should have returned by now.
    The project this week is to lower the arch for a fixed bridge. The bridge is 19'3" and the arch is , you guessed it, 19-3 ! The top of the radar array is
    20'6" and dodger is 16-6, so off comes the bimini also.
    I may need to cut a GPS antenna wire, as the installer ran it tight Any input on this? The radar has an extra 20" of wire coiled up in the FB so the
    40 pair cable is good; WHEW !! Just need 3-4 big bruisers to lay it down. I figure about 300lbs max. Any thoughts on this?? ws
    Willie,

throw a party, a really big party. Invite all your buddies onboard and even some Forum dudes from the area. Fill all tanks then cruise that sub right under the bridge!
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Down to the gunn'ls. Then rig ein schnorkel like the U boats used !!
    Torpedos, LOHS! ws

I actually remove and reinstall my arch once a year on my 56 MY to get it up the Champlain Canal. However, when coming through the Erie, it did not have to come off, just got lowered a little by angling it back. Mine actually had two access ports and a setup where it could be rocked back while not disengaged from the boat. I am sure you have checked buy perhaps yours has the same setup. When I need to actually remove it and reinstall it from the boat, I used to hire a couple (actually 5 ) Coasties and that made its removal pretty easy. Once the feet are removed from each side, the real tricky part at first was to make sure to limit the side to side movement. It wanted to have those feet dancing over any piece of fiberglass they could get to. If you are actually going to remove it, I used two lines attached to the inside of the "U" and actually lowered it down the side of the boat using those two lines. Two Coasties up top with the weight, two Coasties on the dock to guide the feet and one Coastie at the rail to keep it off the boat. With the radar on the arch, I estimated at about 250 pounds. Frankly, the weight was not the issue--it was once those dancing feet were unfastened from the boat. Hope this helps.

Looks loke that missing davit would come in handy right now.....
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

I opened the two inspection covers and found an obtuse (?) forward angled bracket made out of 1/2 - 5/8 welded flat stock with 3 studs in the arch on both sides.The nuts are on the inside of the bracket. I'm affraid if I lay it down and hang on one stud something will break. If it were bolted, I could hinge it and lay it down, but with studs, she needs to come out at the correct angle. I think if theres enough wire to lay it down, I'll set it on some horses for the KVH base to clear and then put it in bondage so it wont try to dance around. Its a pretty smooth trip to the other place. ws