Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: repower 36c

john Guest

repower 36c

Need some info! I was on the Owners Page and saw a number of 36's with diesel power ie: "Blue Note", "Krazy Eight", "Pigsnoot IV", "Samurai". The "Kathy L" a 1971 36c that we have owned since 1981, redone twice re-powered once, has 460 cu 330 hp gas. We cruise at 18k@3200rpm and 32gph; top at 28kt@3800rpm and 45gph. We are considering re-powering gas or diesel! Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John.

67HAT34C Guest
    lots of prior discussions on this issue.

going to cost you 80k to repower with min 330hp diesels.

gas repower with big block mpi's will be about 20k or so.

how much do you use it.

how important is speed, diesels going togive higher cruise speed, you could expect 23 to 25k cruise with 330 cummins
    more range, better economy.

cons, big up front cost, higher maint. costs.

john Guest

repower 36c

We live in Hobe Sound, Fl, and have the opportunity to use her more in the future than in the past.

Speed would be nice, but power in a following sea is
    more important. They may go hand in hand.

One problem I've heard about with gas is the dimension under the hatches. They may not fit.

Thanks.

Banshee36 Guest

re-power

Capt. I re-powered my 1970 36c with twin 330 Cummins, with twin disc 5050a 1.5 to 1 trannys. My rig, I use her as a charterboat, at 2200 rpms I cruise at 23kts at 17gph. WOT 2850 33kts, very scarey! She tends to keel walk. At 2400 I cruise 25kts burning 22gph. My repower cost 42k for engines and trans, and 6k for the install. I did alot of the work myself, the 80k estimate is damn close.
    I would look into the new cummins , common rail, more power , less smoke, but all electronic. I have a friend in Stuart putting a set in his Cabo . I have no Idea whatthey cost but they are probably expensive, but then again so is owing a boat.
    Good luck.
    JW

jim rosenthal Guest

Cummins B engines...

...seem to be the best choice. Although I have CAT 3116s which have run well for me, but the B Cummins engines are lighter and somewhat smaller so the service access is better. 330hp per side is enough; more than that and they reportedly keel walk or start to rock at high speeds. Also with more power it's hard to get enough wheel under there, you run out of room.
    Look into a set of remanufactured Cummins or Cats, the cost is far less and they have been very reliable for lots of folks including me. Factory remans are available if you shop thoroughly. The diesel conversion is worth it- they are faster, safer, cost less to run, and worth more on resale. You don't get it all back, but if you own the boat for several years after the repower, you get pretty close.
    Also worth looking at- Yanmars in the 350-400hp range, and there is a Lugger in that size too. More repowers have been done with the Cummins B engines than anything else, so there is a lot of info on gear ratio and prop size. The good setup is 1.75:1 ZF or TD gears, the standard shafts, and 4 blade wheels to suit. Typically they will cruise 25 kts or better and top out near thirty or thirty one.
    On speed, Banshee's boat doesn't count. We snuck on it during the winter when he wasn't around and put nitrous rigs on his engines. :lol He thinks it goes fast because he keeps the bottom clean. Pretty soon we're going to have to tell him the truth:rollin

john Guest

repower36c

Thanks for the replies! there seems to be a lot of good info out there. As far as doing a lot of work myself isn't a problem. Thats what I did with the two make overs. As soon as I can figure out how to get some pics on the "Owners Web" I'll post them. Kathy didn't want me to put the logo back on in order to keep people guessing about the make, but after all SHE IS a Hatteras. Thanks again and keep those cards and letters coming!

34Hatt Guest

Pics of the 36c

Hey John
    For a web page with pictures send them with the Info over to Mark at www.vintagehatteras.com and he will create a page for you.
    Dan

john Guest

repower36c

Thanks Dan I will!

mtnest Guest

repower 36c

John, There is a 36 c at A&J yard in rocky Point. He repowered with 450 cummings, loves them. I personally would look at the electronic cummings. Either way cummings seems to be the engine of choice of late. There is a custom 40 footer getting new 540 hp cummings. I own a 38 hat c and I am looking to go with the 480 hp electronic cummings. P.S. I'm in Hobe Sound too.

kathy l Guest

repower 36c

MTNEST, I have seen the boat, actually met Mike at Shrimpers one night. He promised a ride when she gets back in the water. Going to the boat show Friday, I'm sure I'll get more info. Thanks,John