Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Re: Fresh Water Pump - What I need?

Question,

Does anyone actually turn off thier water pumps when they are away from the boat ?

I was speaking with a manufacturer today and they were telling me the risks involved regardless of brand, if these things are not switched. It made sense.

Re: Fresh Water Pump - What I need?

I turn mine off, along with every other breaker that isn't essential. The only things left on are the bilge pumps, refrigerators, batt charger, and a few breakers for lights. Everything else gets switched off.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

3. Re: Fresh Water Pump - What I need?

See , that makes good sense to me. The manufacturer I was speaking to said so many of their customers never thought about turning off the water pumps.

Thanx Sky

I switch it off. It's protected against running dry- it will shut itself off- but if there's a leak, I don't want to have to get seventy gallons of water out of the bilge. It's not dangerous, but it would be a pain in the neck.

galley maids will shut down if pressure drops below a set level, like when the tank runs dry... that's nice... too bad most other pumps don't inlcuding the fancy electronic variable speed shurflo
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have to say - I never turned that stuff off because I lived less than 1/2 mile from the boat and was there almost every day. Never thought much about it. But now, sitting in Mexico, 2700 miles from my boat with EVERYTHING turned on, I'm not at all happy about it! I was going to call a friend and have him turn everything but the fridge off but I'll be there in two days so what the heck.

From now on though, everything will be off except the fridge and power to the bilge pumps.