Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY Louvers

1. DIY Louvers

In the Parts wanted catagory there was mention of the louvered doors. So today I did one of those rainy day projects and made a jig so I can build these louvered doors.

I used a 3/8 router bit to make the actual jig cuts. And I used one of my 3 1/4 HP Freud Routers.

First I built a track for the router and the base which is the actual jig is made of 3/4 plywood.

Next I had to figure a way to get the mortises spaced evenly so I made some spacers to fit in the track. This went pretty smooth. I would screw down the last spacer, then pull from the back and put in front. So on and so on.

What I ended up with is a jig 36" long for the louvers. I can flip it over for the right or left side of the door, and use only the slots I need.

2. Re: DIY Louvers

Next was to install the new guides on the router with a 1/4 bit . The guide is 3/8 OD and fits snuggly into the 3/8 slots.

I made this first small test using some scrap plywood. These are the mortised slots.

And the final result. Now I just cut up a piece of scrap 1/4 ply for the louvers and did not round the corners, but I think you can get the idea of how this is now done.

We will have 3 doors on Boss lady that will be half louvers half panels.

3. Re: DIY Louvers

I also have this friend, good ole' boy, buddy and pal of mine that has a water jet cutter.

I am hoping he will make me an aluminum jig of the same configuration

Re: DIY Louvers

Is that brass doohickey with the 4 holes hanging on the tool board another jig?? LOL Are the SS portlight rings raw or polished?? ws

Re: DIY Louvers

How bout that fly swater wouldn't want to throw away a fly swater designed to kill liberal flys. LOL
    Last edited by garyd; 05-08-2007 at 05:48 PM.
    Have Fun Boating

6. Re: DIY Louvers

Haha,

The ole' brass knucks !

Have a few "other toys" laying around as well.

That swatter has killed many a bee that has flown into the shop. Bout' time to get a new one, but the darn things cost a whole dollar !!!!!

Bill,

The stainless trim rings are polished 316. They are about 3mm thick ( close to 1/8 thick )