Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

DD671 Blk Heaters 750W or 1500W

I have DD671 Diesels and would like to install KimHS heaters with thermostats. My question is - should I go with 1500W or 750W? I am in Michigan. Does anyone have any experience with either? Will there be a significant energy cost difference? KimHS recommends 3watts per cubic inch.
    They do not offer a 1000W model. Thanks for the input! John
    J Dickson

Re: DD671 Blk Heaters 750W or 1500W

I'd go with the 750w. I just have the cheapo Wolverine pad heaters at 250w and they do the job. 1500w seems like overkill. The 1500's would heat up faster but it doesn't really matter if you keep them on a thermostat anyway.

If you're interested, here is the link to the pad heaters:

http://www.padheaters.com/index.html
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 05-03-2007 at 08:39 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I'd be interested in where you are getting the heaters from. 43 DC with 671N's. Live in Rochester, Michigan but keep boat in Sandusky, Ohio. Like to boat mid March to mid November so I could really use the heaters for the cold seasons.

Thanks ... Kevin

I have Kin Hotstarts in my 8V71TI's connected through their thermostats. I thought mine were 1000W each, but maybe they are only 750W each.

Anyways, I run them 24/7 to keep the engine room dry. They have been hooked up for six years now with no problems. Of course they may not have to work real hard here in San Diego, but they have been very reliable.

Johnson & Towers has block heaters that simply bolt into the side of the block
    I have mine direct with no thermostats does a real nice job & very simple ..
    Not sure of the watts

Quote Originally Posted by newinlet
    Johnson & Towers has block heaters that simply bolt into the side of the block
    I have mine direct with no thermostats does a real nice job & very simple ..
    Not sure of the watts

I have the same kind as you describe, mine are 400 watts each. Perfect for Pacific Northwest. They help to keep the whole boat warm in the winter and the engines seem to running before I have the starter is pushed in all the way and barely a puff of smoke.

I went with the Wolverine oil pan heaters because there was no accessable port on the engine block for the coolant heater. The marinazation of the engine coupled with the installation of the alternator blocked the normal pipe fittings for the typical block heaters. The oil pan heater was the next best bet...it works well as long as the installation instructions are followed to a T.

8. Re: DD671 Blk Heaters 750W or 1500W

I have the same as Dave , one 250w per motor but I live in Florida. I just have mine on a on/off switch as it was easier and there are very few days I actually would need them each winter.
    I would turn them ON the night before we were going out, turn them off just before firing the motors up and heading out of the slip.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com