Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

A land cruise...

This coming July the "Admiral" and I will be attending a meeting in Albequergue, N.M. While the meeting will last only three days we are taking a whole week so as to enjoy visiting N.M.

We have this idea that the area aroung Santa FE perhaps has a lot to see and do. What I need advice on is where should we stay and what should we go see. Bear in mind that we are not at all attracted to commercial/touristy type places but enjoy natural history and senic natural areas.

On the lodging issue I would really like to find a western and rustic kind of lodge that's comfortable and, of course, clean. We don't need a palace but we do want to be comfortable in a charming surronding.

Recomendations appreciated.

(Disclaimer: I hope this thread qualifies as an acceptable "Everything Else" item as since the inception of this section of the Forum I have learned many things from the making of the perfect cup of cappachino, rid bees, make the perfect summer cocktail, who not to vote for, who to party with, to.... kill a snake, and what gun to use! Along with a lot of philosophy too).

Now is everyone's opportunity to tell Capt'n Bill where to go!
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

2. Re: A land cruise...

Sorry Bill,

I cannot help you here. But I do have a question.........

Was it hard converting the props to Michelin tires ?

Re: A land cruise...

Sante Fe is a beautiful area, I hope your not flying there because the drive from Albuquerque is great scenery. The desert should be in bloom now or soon too. You could look for aliens in Roswell Hmmmm, love that Mex food you can get there. Have fun and catch some of those dark starry nights.

Rick
    1973 38 FBDC
    rswirtz@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    Sorry Bill,

I cannot help you here. But I do have a question.........

Was it hard converting the props to Michelin tires ?

Actually I'd drive with 4-blade props on my wheels before running Michilins - it's just this problem I have about anything French anymore! BTW my 04 Ford Explorer came with BF Goodrich and at 40+K miles they are still lasting and running great.

Thanks Rick for nice comment.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Almost all the hotels in Santa Fe are western style. There are plenty of museums and historical places in the town it won't be hard to find any of them. A place you have to eat at is called Pasqual's (sp?) serves Mexican breakfast all day and are to die for. I would drive out just to eat breakfast there its so good. Take your check book or lots of plastic cause there is plenty of fantastic art to buy. Have a great trip.

Images

We just spent six days in Santa Fe. It is a delightful area. There are museums in town including Georgia O'Keefe Museum. The Taos peublo is interesting. A drive to the west from Taos takes you over mountains on a acceptable road and goes through the Ghost Ranch area where O'Keefe did much of her painting. The St. Francis Hotel just off the plaza is excellent.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas W Peavy
    A place you have to eat at is called Pasqual's (sp?) serves Mexican breakfast all day and are to die for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatt36
    We just spent six days in Santa Fe. It is a delightful area. There are museums in town including Georgia O'Keefe Museum. The Taos peublo is interesting. A drive to the west from Taos takes you over mountains on a acceptable road and goes through the Ghost Ranch area where O'Keefe did much of her painting. The St. Francis Hotel just off the plaza is excellent.
    Richard
    Thanks Tom, Richard!

We will be booked in the St. Francis. We visited their web page and it seems exactly what we are looking for. The "Ghost Ranch" area sounds exciting. I'm sure we will visit it too.

Your responses is very much appreciated.
    Last edited by (Nobody You Know); 05-08-2007 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Capt'n Bill

8. Re: A land cruise...

Planning a trip like this is half the fun Bill.

I know you will have a great trip and lots of fun.

I couldn't think of the hotel we stayed in but the St Frances was the one. Its wonderful and Pasquals is across the street. The square is a block behind Pasquals but take all your plastic if the Admiral is a shopper! Plenty of fantastic shops within walking distance which means you get to make many trips back to the hotel to empty your hands. Be sure and see the chapel (about 2 blocks away) that has the famous spiral stair case with no nails or screws.