Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
    mikep996 Guest

monitor on flybridge

I want to purchase a monitor for the flybridge to mirror the Garmin GPS installed at the lower helm. It needs to be a standard VGA monitor that operates on 12VDC. Size is not critical - something at least 10" but it doesn't really have to be larger.

I've done a lot of searching and I've found many different possibilities with prices from $200 to $4000. Some of the units designed for automotive use seem like a possibility.

Has anyone done this? What kind of monitor did you use?

zrida Guest

Monitors

Mike996, Hope I can help I own a security company and although we are asked to install on boats I leave this to the marine experts. My knowledge on monitors and devices to repeat information to another area is difficult. Any of the the smaller monitors run on 120V and are not waterproof. The other problem you have is sunlight and viewing. Their are waterproof VGA screens very expensive for the cost I use a hand held when I am up there. Good luck let me know if you find anything.

jim rosenthal Guest

I spent a lot of time...

...looking into this a few years ago when I wanted a remote for my Northstar 951, which was up on the fly bridge. I could not find a good choice which was reasonably priced. What you need on the fly bridge is a monitor that is waterPROOF, bright enough to be visible all the time, and that can show all the data on the Garmin's screen from its' video output. And, if you have that (cost about 2-3K, plus hookups, from what I recall) you STILL can't work with the data from up there- you can only see it, which is of limited use.
    At the time I researched this, there were very few networked systems- Furuno, Nstar, RayMarine. Now there are networked systems available from Garmin, and the price of the networked ones from Northstar has come down (I bought a 6000i and sold my 951 while it was still a current model).

Right now, if you look at image quality, software support, and price, there is no doubt in my mind who is the leader- Garmins 3000 system has it over everyone. At the time I bought the 6000i, Garmin had not come out with their new system and they refused to say whether they were or not. I'm happy with the Northstar- but the price of every single piece of it is double or more what the Garmin is. Navionics and CMAP are having to scramble to improve their image quality to match the presentation of the charts on Garmin equipment. Northstar is moving up-market with a 15" screen (at a prodigious price), because Garmin is, I believe, cutting into their sales in the middle of the market.

From my own experience, I would do what I did, if I understand your needs clearly: take a deep breath and invest in a system that does what you want, rather than trying to put together what someone else already has. A real computer based system running on a PC or MAC inside the boat, with remote monitors etc, will be more expensive and less adaptable than a packaged system built specifically for marine navigation.

I apologize if I do you a disservice here, Mike. But I think I understand what you are trying to do. I spent two years woodshedding this (with the aid of my nephew who is a systems engineer and software designer) and finally came to the conclusion that I was trying to reinvent a size and shape of wheel that someone had already done. Good luck- let us know what you decide.

mikep996 Guest

Re: I spent a lot of time...

Thanks Jim.

Good points. I've been trying to avoid spending a bunch of money on this issue. It might not be possible to avoid!

:\

Nonchalant1 Guest

Re: I spent a lot of time...

Mike,

I've got a C-Map 10 inch system at the helm and a sepsrate antenna and power hookup for a Garmin on the bridge. I just use my Garmin GPSMAP-176C (4.5 inch) that I usually have in my car and put it on the bridge when we're out in the boat. Costs about $500 PLUS the BlueChart cartirdges, but then I have full redundancy of GPS too. If an integrated system goes kablooey, the whole thing goes. I like redundancy.

Doug