Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

pickled oak finish?

I Am Trying To Touch Up The Interior Pickled Oak Wood Inside My 1991 40 My. All And All The Finish Is In Very Good Condition Expect For Areas Around Where Cabinets Open And Some Edge Moldings. Any Ideas For A Part Stain/sealer Product. I Can Not Seem To Find Anything. Min Wax No Longer Makes Its Poly Shades In Pickled Oak. Has Any Tried Mixing Stain With One Of Those Wipe On Finishes? I Think It Would Touch Well If I Had A Stain With Some Body To It, The Stain I Have Found Is Very Thin And Dosn't Cover Those Bare Yellow Spots. Any Ideas?
    Thanks,
    Sea Trial

Re: pickled oak finish?

We just did a repair project on an Island Gypsy that had deteriorated wood panel around previously leaking windows. The teak interior had been pickled some time back, which we had to match. What we did was to take a sample of the existing finish, and a sample of the replacement wood to a local paint store. They fiddled with it until they came up with a concoction that was just about perfect. It's an oil based stain/satin finish all in one. With 2 coats on the new wood, it matched well. We did a little touching up and blending in of surrounding areas just to be sure. It turned out great.

The other stock answer here on the forum is to "call Hatteras". In this case, they may have a ready solution for you.

Re: pickled oak finish?

Or, call Sams Marine. Provided that it is an original finish, Steve will probably be able to tell you what to use.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI