Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

More injector questions(DD6v63t's)

I picked up a set of 6v53t's(twin dry turbo) former owner claims 400hp per. Almost all the info I can find points to there not being such a thing. Hope someone can give me a better idea. The Injectors that came out were 5n65's . the motors have the alts mounted on the rear of the motor about mid way up and on center line. Came with twin disks at 1:5 -1, not that that really matters.
    thanks
    tim
    Last edited by hunshatt; 04-12-2007 at 04:19 PM.

Re: More injector questions(DD6v63t's)

Well if it is, it's 400 HP out of 318 Cubic inches which would probably give it a life expectancy that you could measure in days and not many of them!

Can't imagine anyone would build such an engine but one never knows...

I was told that if they were 400 they should be a 2-3,000hr motor. Not true?

DD did build a 400 HP 6V53 in the early 90s. It had a single watercooled turbo and all the goodies. Proped right and run conservitivly they were ok. I had a cust with a 44 Tolly with a pair and he had 1900 hr on them when he sold it and they were still strong. Zero smoke on startup @ 50 deg.

That's a lot of power out of rather few CUbic inches. But, as Capt said, if they are run conservatively, the HP/CU thing isn't a factor. It's only a factor if the engines are run at the upper end of their power range. If you run at hull speed then any engine will last a long time. Basically that engine is producing only slightly less max power than a 1980 8V71TI which has a LOT more displacement - 435HP out of 568CID. In this case the 8v71ti engine has a lot more CID than HP which is a much better recipe for longevity.