Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6v92 capacities

6v92 capacities

Does anyone know the following capacities:

Engine lube oil
    Tranni oil
    Engine coolant

for a 1979 6v92 435hp?
    Thanks.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

2. Re: 6v92 capacities

Lube oil is ~5 gallons, coolant is roughly 12. There's some variation depending on remote filters and lines, etc. Gear oil on the Allisons is, if I recall correctly, around 3-4 gals.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: 6v92 capacities

Thanks, Karl. BTW, I just got off the phone from Saunders. They were quite helpful, and did remember your name.
    Bob
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I think the Allisons take about half of that each. The book says 6qts, but I find that it is closer to 8.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

My understanding is that they use the same 40wt as the engines. Does that sound correct to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley
    My understanding is that they use the same 40wt as the engines. Does that sound correct to you?
    That is correct. Straight 30wt or 40wt depending on the ambient air temps. For most of us, that means 40wt.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have 6V92, 425 HP 1980 version. The trannys are M20. Two gallons of 40 wt takes care of a tranny. Just under 5 gal total (maybe 18 quarts including that to prefill the filter brings the engines to the mid point between low and full. My engines run fine at that level and consume almost nothing. At the full mark thay are 'using' oil. On the port side, some of that oil goes into the trans if it is kept full. At the half way mark, I could not see a change in the last 25 hours running.