Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Battery parallel solenoid

The battery parallel solenoid in my 1972 48ft YF has an open coil...so I may need a replacement if I can't get the thing apart and see the coil for rewind or resolder. One side says 6F01 12volt , the other says 1119865...

I can check Sam's but would appreciate any other suggestions for a replacement and source.

As noted in prior posts a year or two ago, these are HEAVY DUTY (high current). If I can get the coil insert out..looks like its pressed inside the solenoid cannister..then I can get to the coil where one of the leads is broken.....it's soaking in PB blaster now...

How to REPAIR:
    Just in case you have one that clicks (this is the solenoid plunger being pulled down to make contact) but does not make contact (batteries not paralleled) it's easy to repair...maybe 3/4 hour...take off the cables and remove the solenoid to a workplace....remove the two or three top bolts....pull the top off...inside you'll note a copper ring on a removable plunger..pull it out...The underside makes contact with two copper protrusions/contacts on the side of the solenoid...sand/polish these contacts and the copper disk clean....you'll be good for another 20-30 years!!!! Worth a $100 or $200 dollars likely for a replacement of equal quality.

Re: Battery parallel solenoid

Any truck parts place...more like $25. The selenoids for starting the truck diesel is no different than what's on the boats.

Ted

3. Battery parallel solenoid

In the archives is mention of part number 24530, Sam's Part Number, for the battery parallel solenoid.

I decided to go with it and sure enough even though a different color than my old one, it's a duplicate...big heavy...about 8 or so lbs!!!. Sam's told me it's rated 800 continuous and 1100 amps intermittent..at $200.60 OUCH,
    but I've never seen a solenoid built like this one.

The odd thing about my old one is that it was the activation coil that burned out...not the solenoid contacts that carry the heavy duty currents required...go figure....

If you can find one of the same rating at a truck parts place, no reason no to try to save...this one's a beauty...and ought to be at this price!!!