Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Nonchalant1 Guest

Re: Batteries

If your batteries went dead, it was probably only the "house" bank. Most Hatts have a separate bank of batteries for starting purposes only, which are totally separate from the main bank used to run everything else. That way, when your batteries run down, you can still start and go. There will be a "parallel" switch on the helm so you can actually use either bank to start either engine.
    Your house bank will recharge overnight just fiine.

Doug

mikep996 Guest

53MY Separate battery banks...kind of

Per the original wiring diagrams...Our '80 53 has semi-separate house and starting banks. The Port battery bank feeds all the 32V house electrical system circuits PLUS the port engine starter. The Starboard bank feeds only the starboard engine starter and (originally) the genny starter.

When the genny was replaced, it was given it's own 12V batt bank which power both the genny starter and an added 12V electrical system. This battery bank is charged by the alternator on the genny or by a separate AC-powered 12V battery charger. It is no longer connected in any way to the main batts or the 32V system

Do other Hatts have a totally separate house/starter banks?

Nonchalant1 Guest

Re: 53MY Separate battery banks...kind of

My 1978 53MY starboard bank is only connected to the starboard engine starter and genny starter. The port engine can be started from s/b by parallel switch. Everything else runs off the port bank.